Why the heck, is the log not in the developers tab

I understand that it was moved to the configuration, but why not show it both there and on the development tab? Because developing means also debugging (looking at logs).

IMHO, the whole developer, and configuration panels can be merged into a single thing.

10 Likes

No please don’t. Because it’s getting bigger and bigger. And scrolling in the configurations panel is already a bad thing in my opinion. I also made a panel (showing duplicate menus though) for server controls. Which also should be in developers panel btw. What I mean is the developers panel is very useful and should be just that. But misses logs and server controls. Configurations is fine as it is.

6 Likes

You can use the redirect panel to add shortcuts to places in the UI to the sidebar https://gist.github.com/balloob/580deaf8c3fc76948559c5963ed4d436

2 Likes

As long as you put server controls at the TOP of the page where they are quick to use without scrolling :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Which buttons of server control are important and what is wrong with the redirect panel as a solution?

Restarting HA is my primary use of server control. It is currently a bit far down on the config page. I think I am not the only one who finds the default takes a bit of tedious scrolling. I should follow the redirect panel option, which I wasn’t actually aware of.

However it would be nice for users to have it easier to access by default.

Admittedly restarts are less necessary now, but I seem to still do it enough to be annoying.

2 Likes

Can you keep track of what config changes is causing you to restart?

Once our beloved ADR-10 is fully implemneted, we should only require restarts for integrations that define protocols (MQTT, rfxtrx etc). Hybrid integrations (script, input_boolean etc) have reload functions for the YAML.

I will, should I add them here? Or an issue?

At least for me, the main reason for restarting is adding new sensors (mostly template, rest or command_line).
If these could be reloaded without restart, that would significantly reduce at least my reasons for restarting.

2 Likes

Eventually template/rest/command_line should be migrated to a hybrid model like input_boolean etc. That way you get a reload function for YAML and a UI for storage based ones.

1 Like

I can give you a nebulous reason why I restart almost every time.

And up front this is almost certainly my fault, I haven’t got round to investigating, making changes and doing things properly but that doesn’t IMO make this invalid…

If I use some of the reload options, my house alarm is triggered. This is probably because something somewhere is not setup properly/quickly enough so the conditions are met wrongly.

It is almost certainly my fault and I have been too lazy to investigate as the solution is simple (restart, not reload) and I make no complaint about HA. It is just given as a reason I restart which suspect might affect others in some way.

It’s a small thing, but I agree that it’d be nice to have the Server Restart at the top of the page. That’s why I go there 99% of the time and always have to scroll down.

Since restarting is done using a service call homeassistant.restart, you can also add it as a button in your Lovelace. Also, there is this Chrome extension that makes the button even more visible.

3 Likes

This looks really useful thanks.
But it does then lead us back into this… :wink:

1 Like

Created this issue so we can track different responses and not hijack this topic https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/39033

Thank you, but where should one put this code? I’m not familiar using js anywhere for HA. Couldn’t this be translated to some yaml config which everybody is familiar with?

Installation instructions are at the top of the file, including some YAML :+1:

Not restarting is the best of course. But if you need it often, you can also use Restart / Reload HA with bookmarklet . Keep in mind that you need to be on a HomeAssistant browser page/tab for this to work.