Why the heck is there no option to change the displayed unit for wind speed?

In some countries the wind speed is referred to in meters per second. Home Assistant makes mornings difficult by having to calculate kilometers per second to meters per second as the first thing in the morning when looking at the weather forecast.

This depends on the weather integration you are using. The one I’m using offers up knots, km/h and m/s. Does yours?

I’m using the met.no integration and have tried both the integrated weather card as well as the HACS weather card in Lovelace. None of them gives the ability to change the displayed wind speed unit.

When I asked the developer of met.no, he said the unit is in km/h because that is the unit that Home Assistant uses.

So while Home Assistant use a defined set of units in the backend, it should be possible to change the displayed unit in Lovelace. :slight_smile:

Until you get your wth wish you can use a template sensor.

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      wind_speed_mps:
        friendly_name: "Wind Speed"
        unit_of_measurement: 'm/s'
        value_template: "{{ states('sensor.site name_speed')|float / 3.6 }}"

Thanks for the template!
I modified the template slightly to work with the weather integration.
sensor:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      wind_speed_ms:
        friendly_name: "Wind Speed"
        unit_of_measurement: 'm/s'
        value_template: "{{ (state_attr('weather.home', 'wind_speed')|float / 3.6)| round(1)}}"

That gave me the possibility to add a wind-card to lovelace, which is kinda cool:

However, it would still be nice to see my preferred wind speed unit directly in the weather card :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which weather card is that?

“Weather Card” in HACS

1 Like

Ah ok. The BoM version allows picking individual sensors (Customising the BOM Weather and lovelace - now in HACS) unlike the one you are using. Pretty sure you cant use the BoM one without a bit of editing of the icon display javascript though.