WiFi 6 HUAWEI AX3

new router is available in the market and to many people used now
it is the WiFi 6 HUAWEI AX3 it will be very nice to add a integrations for tracking the devises in home assistant, thanks

I have implemented a component for Huawei routers, you can try it

1 Like

Hello, i have a Huawei Mesh 3 pack and i have tried your component but i can’t authenticate. It’s not suported yet? The mesh doesn’t suport remote management yet and i would like to see what’s going on in my network when i am away.

Huawei Mesh 3 is supported, you can open an issue if component has problems with authentication or other features.

is very good start my friand I’m using the add-on now and i see you start add more and more functions I hope you can add the IP tracking soon,
if there any way to support you let me know.
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words! The best support for me right now is feature requests to better understand which features would be most useful to the community.

The device_tracker domain is supported by the component, and allows you to track the status of devices (home/not home).
In addition, the attributes of monitored devices contain information about the specific router to which the device is connected (this allows you to track devices up to the service area of a specific router). More info is here.

Or maybe you mean something else by IP tracking?

1 Like

exactly with the ip is more powerful, any way im happy with this and i will continue using the add-one and i need more time to fully understand it , again thanks to this nice work

Hello again, my mesh setup is not conected to the HA via cable. Is conected to a main router and i have tried integrating it but i get error on authentication. I saw in the github instructions specified that is a 'custom component for control Huawei mesh routers over LAN'. My question is if it cannot be integrated if is in the same local network but not directly conected via cable or my error is with the wrong user and password. A little clarification would be much apriciated.

Hi! Can you open the authorization page of your router (mesh) from the machine on which Home Assistant is installed?

I have Hass installed on a rp4, I don't know what you mean by opening from there. My raspberry is connected via cable to the main router, the same goes for my mesh. The Hass and the mesh are not in the same class of ip, Hass is 0.1 and mesh 3.1, and don't have the same network name, because the huawei mesh cannot be connected as ap. Could it be this the problem? Thanks for your help and quick response.

If I understood your connection diagram correctly, then your network has a main router that directly provides Internet access, and a set of Huawei Mesh 3 routers that provides wireless access to your network, and is connected to the main router. The Home Assistant server is also connected to the main router.

In this case, the Huawei router will not allow your rpi to access the management API, because it believes that requests to it come from the Internet (the Huawei router in your case is connected to the main router via the WAN port).

I use the same connection method at home, and I was forced to use a small trick to gain access to Huawei routers from Home Assistant:

1. Connect directly to the Huawei router (wire or Wi-Fi, no difference) any device that will be permanently turned on. I use Raspberry Pi 3 for this
  2. Сonfigure a reverse proxy on this device (I use HAProxy), which will redirect all HTTP requests received on port 80 of the device to the address of the router itself (192.168.3.1).
    HAProxy configuration fragment:
frontend http-80
  mode http
  bind *:80
  acl IsPrimaryMeshRouter hdr_reg(host) ^primary\.mesh\.router\.home$
  acl IsPrimaryMeshRouter hdr_reg(host) ^192\.168\.0\.21$
  use_backend MeshPrimary if IsPrimaryMeshRouter

backend MeshPrimary
  mode http
  balance leastconn
  http-request set-header Host 192.168.3.1
  server router 192.168.3.1:80
  1. Configure port forwarding on the Huawei router so that all “external” requests to the 80 port of the router are redirected to our device

2. As the address of the Huawei router, when setting up integration, we specify the address that the Huawei Mesh 3 router received from your main router (something like 192.168.0.21, depends on your DHCP server)

If this method is too complicated, or unacceptable for some other reason, then I can only recommend connecting your raspberry pi with Home Assistant directly to the Huawei router.
Unfortunately, the software of Huawei Mesh 3 routers is not flexible enough, and does not allow the router to work as a bridge, so access to its management API is available only from the internal network of Huawei Mesh routers.

Thank you for your amazing lecture, I will try to achieve what you explain, and I am very impressed of how quick you menaged to create an awesome and detailed representation of my setup situation (that you correctly understood). At least now I have to think if I keep my main router or I change it with the mesh, as the easiest method.

Thanks for the integration! Love the features. However, there comes one feature in mind - not sure if possible as it can also be done network-wide or on device level - which would be blocking access to domains. As a parent, I’m doing it manually at Security Settings > Parental Control where I enable/disable domains so my 5yo doesn’t petrify while watching YouTube, Disney+, and similar.

Hi!

I suppose it’s possible. It would be great if you create an issue in my github, where we could discuss this topic in more detail

UPDATE: you can try it here: Release v0.8.6 · vmakeev/huawei_mesh_router · GitHub