WiFi only working temporary

I’ve setup hass.io via eth0 and switched later on to WiFi. I followed all the networking recommendations (I have to connection files: one for ethernet and one for wifi).

Unfortunately the whole setup is not persistent: WiFi works as soon as I plug in ethernet and keeps on working even when ethernet is removed. The setup even survives one reboot. As soon as I reboot a second time I see the DHCP handshake in DHCP servers syslog (another RasPi) but can’t ping it (till I plug the ethernet cable in again.

Did you set the IP on eth0 as static with a default gateway?

Here my config files:
WiFi

[connection]
id=resin-wifi
type=wifi

[wifi]
hidden=false
mode=infrastructure
ssid=B***M***

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=B***M***

[ipv4]
method=auto
dns-search=

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

Ethernet

[connection]
id=my-ethernet
type=ethernet
interface-name=eth0
permissions=
secondaries=

[ethernet]
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
never-default=true
route-metric=2048
ignore-auto-routes=true
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

I use auto (DHCP) and do the fixed address assignment via DHCP server.

That looks all good to me - I try not to use wifi for anything that will be on my network switched on and be used. I always use a network cable with static IP for any device other than tablets and phones. The fact that you can see logs on the DHCP server means that it is connecting to the wifi, getting data to the DHCP server, but do you get an IP lease? (I assume the wifi is your ISP router and the DHCP server is on a RPi?) Why not use your ISP router’s DHCP?

Normally I prefer LAN over WLAN but I’d like to have my hass.io box centrally located in the house (ZWave connectivity) and there’s only power but no LAN cable.
I use my own DHCP server to be more flexible (i.e. assigning dedicated IP etc.) and the server works perfectly: I get an IP address for WiFi and can work on WLAN but will loose connectivity after 2nd reboot -> as sun as I plug a LAN cable WLAN is working again till after a couple of reboots. I assume this is a NetworkManager problem.
FYI: WiFi is Ubiquiti: WiFi on ISP router is just some crappy thing.