Will downstream routers update over the Zigbee net?

I have eight Third Reality plugs around my house, like one in each room, that are mostly used as stand-alone repeaters. Periodically I will get update notifications for them, and since they work, I click on ignore.

But I did click on Update on a couple of them and they both failed to update. Then I clicked “Update” for the Third Reality plug that is close to the coordinator, and it did update.

So the question is, does the Zigbee device need to be connected directly to the configurator or should it update even a few hops downstream?

The map is useless as it appears that everything connects to everything.

With Zigbee2MQTT they do, but it takes a long, long time. So I usually bring the device that needs updating close to the coordinator if possible. Cuts the time at least in half.

1 Like

Echoing what francisp said. Also, I’ve seen it mentioned here somewhere that you should only update a single device at a time, otherwise the updates will fail.
Will edit my post with a link if I find the thread.

Can I assume the same with ZHA?

I think it’s technically the same mechanism under the covers, so it should? I’m not 100% certain though.

Personally, I only had one update fail on one of my 3R plugs, but that plug was about 80’ away from the coordinator (it is in an outside building on my property). I attempted it a second time and it took around 4 hours to update, but it did finally succeed.

ZHA does support queing updates so should not update all at one (Zigbee2MQTT does not yet do that).

However I find best is to only update a single Zigbee device at a time if absolutely need to update them.

But likely you first also need to optimize your setup and network to avoid EMF/EMI/RMI interference and maybe also add more Zigbee Router devices for all the data to arrive in time before time out, see Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

That is really the best preactice for Zigbee devices. It the device is not broken then do not try fixing it :wink: