Will Sonoff S26 Zigbee plug work with HA SkyConnect out of the box?

Hey.

I’m planning to buy smart zigbee power plug. So far I’ve looked at the SONOFF S26R2ZB

Will that work with the SKkyConnect Zigbee hub out of the box, or it requires its own sonoff zigbee hub/other type of quirk/hack?

I know that zigbee devices are supposed to be working with every zigbee hub/vendor as its open standard, but Tuya fucked me over and I’m not taking chances spending hours troubleshooting something that should work out of the box.

Thanks.

Yes most if not all devices that are zigbee based will work out of the box with the skyconnect usb antenna for HA, all you need to do is start the pairing process on the device you want to connect and under the skyconnect settings click on add device.

As long as its listed as supporting zigbee you don’t need to worry about any external connections that may cause issues as its all local only, same for matter/thread (which for this you just scan the QR code for the device that you want to add when you have multipan enabled via the companion app on the phone).

1 Like

Thank you!

Sorry, that’s just wrong advice.

Most zigbee devices WILL need a quirk. @scotrod Have a look here if you’re using ZHA, or here if you want a more detailed list if you’re using Z2MQTT.

What’s the device that

?

Edit: This summarizes the state of zigbee at the moment

How is it wrong? they asked if it works out of the box with the skyconnect not with just ZHA or Z2MQTT, the answer is still yes, I have been using my skyconnect with ZHA with 18 zigbee devices in my setup so far with no issues with setup and pairing then setting up the automation for them.

Yes, because people before you wrote special quirks for your 18 devices, then got them merged in to a HA release.

If you’ll look up the ZHA github, you’ll find folders upon folders of different quirks for all manufacturers, and I’m willing to bet most of your devices are listed there.

There’s only 2 devices listed under the Sonoff folder, and the S26 isn’t one of them. Remember that you might have lucked out, but others might not be so lucky.

This: https://smarthomescene.com/reviews/tuya-backlit-lcd-climate-sensor-with-clock-zth08-review/

It worked at the end - I read all about the quirks that I have to set up in order for it to get onboarded with ZHA.

The thing is, I went the Zigbee route because I wanted local-only control with something that was described to me as just pressing the key on the end-device in order for it to be paired with your router. This was NOT my Zigbee experience so far (this was my first Zigbee device) and I understand why everyone is just choosing the easy wi-fi way.

Then you might have read this part: “There is no working custom quirk for this device for ZHA either, I could not develop even a partially working one for this device”. The article itself explains that it’s (mostly) supported in Z2Mqtt but not in ZHA at the time. You’ll get it fully supported without quirks by waiting until the quirk is merged in to ZHA and makes its way to a HA release. Just be patient or do your research before you buy stuff, or else bite the bullet and use Z2MQTT (but still check for device support)

There is no “easy wi-fi way”. You either have to put up with the latency and (continued) availability of a cloud server, or else you’ll have to flash your own custom firmware to get local control. None of those options are really easy…

Seriously, just do your research on any (not just zigbee) devices before you click the Buy button, and you’ll be fine. I had to learn this lesson the hard way, and I’m hoping you can learn from my bad experiences.

I read the article after receiving the device and failing to adopt it (I did eventually).

This is why I am asking here.

Dunno, I have a couple of wi-fi Internet of Shit devices which are in isolated VLAN, unable to talk to the Internet, or other devices but the HA instance and I’m quite happy - I just was lucky to pick the ones that could work locally only (despite the official docs saying that they rely on the cloud).

Anyway, I’m not giving up on Zigbee or anything, but for this specific device: Sonoff S26 Plug DE/FR/UK S26R2ZB Zigbee compatibility it seems like it can be fully adopted within ZHA.

1 Like