Will the Aeotec wallmote quad work with secure (Cover, Lock) devices?

I got one of these remotes last night and did a secure inclusion.

It works just fine with my living room light (leviton switch) but so far does not work with my lock (Schlage Zwave plus) nor my Cover (GD00Z-4 Garage Door Opener ) devices.

Are they known to work with non switches?

Thanks.

You are using Group Associations to directly control the light switch?

Assuming so, according to the Wallmote documentation the buttons will send either Basic Set or Multilevel Switch Set commands (depending on the action) to the different groups. That means the endpoint devices associated with those groups will have to support handling those commands. The light switch is easy, any dimmer will support Multilevel Switch, most, along with on/off switches, probably accept Basic Set (on and off).

The locks and garage door are another story. It will depend on the implementation of each individual device. A door lock can support the Basic Set class mapping to another class, but it’s supposed to be documented in the user manual. For example, this Schlage deadbolt says it supports the Basic command class (see command class listing), but the user manual does not say how it is supported.

Same for the garage door openers, the manufacturer is free to implement the Basic command class in different ways (e.g. to control the garage light). For the GD00Z-4, according to the Z-Wave product database, it does not support the Basic or Multilevel Switch classes. Without more documentation to confirm otherwise, it doesn’t look like it will work.

The Wallmote also supports Central Scene, which is sent to the controller. You can always switch to using that instead of group assocations, which would give you full control of any device via Automations, with the trade-off of requiring the Z-Wave controller to be online (HA in this case).

For reference, here are the requirements for Z-Wave Plus door locks and barriers, related to Basic Command implementations. Note that support is optional, and any implemented behavior is not specified.

Door Locks:

4.5.5 Basic Command Considerations

If supported, the Basic Command Class MUST be implemented in the following way: The Basic commands can freely be mapped to another Command Class supported by the device. The mapping MUST be documented in the User’s Manual. The Basic Set, Get and Report commands MUST be mapped within the same Command Class. The Basic Report MUST be in accordance with the mapped Get command. In case the manufacturer deems that no relevant commands are available for mapping, a device receiving Basic commands MUST ignore them and the device MUST NOT respond with a Basic Report under any circumstances.

Motorized Barrier Devices:

4.2.5 Basic Command Considerations

If the device optionally supports the Binary Switch Command Class or Multilevel Switch Command Class to control a built-in light source, the Basic Command Class MUST be supported. The Basic Command Class MUST be implemented in the following way:

• Basic Set MUST be mapped to Binary Switch Set or Multilevel Switch Set
  • Basic Get MUST be mapped to Binary Switch Get or Multilevel Switch Get
  • Basic Report MUST be mapped to Binary Switch Report or Multilevel Switch Report

If the device does not support the Binary Switch Command Class or Multilevel Switch Command Class, the Basic commands can freely be mapped to another Command Class supported by the device. The mapping MUST be documented in the User’s Manual. The Basic Set, Get and Report commands MUST be mapped within the same Command Class. The Basic Report MUST be in accordance with the mapped Get command. In case the manufacturer deems that no relevant commands are available for mapping, a device receiving Basic commands MUST ignore them and the device MUST NOT respond with a Basic Report under any circumstances.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes I am using Group Associations and it does work with the switch just fine.

Can you give me an idea on how to switch to Central Scene?

Is that what this is talking about?

If so can you give a little more detail?

Thank you.

Yes, those are the instructions, unfortunately it’s not a simple process. I don’t have much else to say, I don’t have a Wallmote. You probably need to change a configuration option to enable Central Scene, then you can write HA Automations that are triggered using the zwave scene_activated event. There is an example automation in the same docs. There is another long thread about the Wallmot you can try and consult. Sounds like detecting the button swipes is not straightforward.

Ok thank you.

The HA instructions are not clear at all but I will take a look at the thread…

Thanks again.