Window open, climate off

What have you tried so far? A helper switch that is switched by the Additional Action section and another Automation could be a solution.

Sorry for the late reply!
This is exactly how I have currently solved it. However, I will integrate the whole thing directly into your script as follows: 1. Set a helper to “ON” for every heating status except “OFF”, and set it back to “OFF” after the waiting time has elapsed. 2. At the beginning of the automation, check if the helper is set to “ON”. If so, the automation was restarted before the waiting time expired (for example, because the window was opened again (heating is “OFF”, helper is still “ON”)). For simplicity’s sake, it then jumps directly to the “AUTO” section (so I save myself different helpers for each heating mode) and processes the automation normally.

I am still unsure whether I should do it this way or through a separate automation, as with this solution, I would have to laboriously adapt every new version of your script… Thank you very much for your help!!!

Hello,
thank you very much for this blueprint.

I’ve been trying to get it to work for a few hours now. Unfortunately the automation doesn’t trigger. I have an Aqara window sensor and Tado thermostats. Unfortunately the Aqara sensor does not trigger. When I test with the following helper it works:

Do you have any idea what I’m doing wrong or how I can get the blueprint to work?
I would be very happy about your help and wish you a nice evening.

EDIT: Sorry for my post. I found the problem. My sensors were not of the window type but of the opening type. I had selected the Tado window sensor the whole time (window open detection).

1 Like

Hi,

I have been thinking a lot about a solution but I have not had time to test.

Check running automation

I found out that you can check if a code is running by using this template code

{{ states.automation.badezimmer_heizen_5_00.attributes.current }}

I got it fro here:

I am not sure how to implement it into the Blueprint because at the moment of creation the automation does not have a name.

For now it can be used e.g. as a template sensor and be used in a condition of an extra automation.

Feel free to share your automation code (pm) and maybe I get some extra inspiration out of it.

I definitely see that we need to implement that feature somehow!

Start a script

Another idea could be to start a script that handels all the stuff like delay and additional extra functionality if the window is closed. By using this method the automation is not occupied and can start directly if the window is opened again.

Hey guys, I’ve added this adapted blueprint for Tado thermostats and turns them off and on as expected as my windows open and close, but it also turns them on if they were previously off before the trigger. So basically opening the window and closing it in a room that wasn’t heated, starts the heating. Can you help me with perhaps adding a condition that skips thermostats that were set to off? Thanks much!

Actually, the Blueprint is designed to check if the thermostat is in any other state than off.
Maybe the tado setting need to be adjusted or tado has changed something. I do not know because I am not using tado. But maybe @WhimsySpoon can give you some advice how to set it up correctly. He uses this Bluprint for a long time (many thanks!)

I can confirm this awesome blueprint has been playing nice with my tado install for a long time now.

My thermostats are always in the auto mode (unless I have a window open).

What do you have your tado schedule set to when they go in after the window close?

Thanks for the charming words - they mean a lot to me!

Have a Happy New Year with tons of useful automations that save you time (so that you have more time to code) :partying_face:

1 Like

I just tested this by setting a room/zone to “Off”, waited a few minutes, then opened a window. After a few minutes, I closed the window and the room/zone remained in the “Off” mode as expected.

I have the following set in my Tado integration configuration if it helps:

First of all, thank you for that. But for me, it’s not working perfectly because changes are recognized and also the waiting times but if the climate entity is set to off and I close the window again the temperature is set to the temperature of the room and not to what I have set it before.

I’m using Tado. So I had set the temperature to 21 degree for this Tado climate device and opened the window. The climate device was set to off. After I closed the door it was going back to heat but with a temperature of 16 degree which was the room temperature.

Why is this happening?

Have you tried the following suggestions?

and please answer this question:

With auto mode you mean schedule? I have not set it always to this mode. More off and manual heating.

Off also works fine for me.

Ehm what?

I tested it right now again. My room temp is 20.1 degrees. I opened a window and the automation set it to off. After closing the window it was set to 19 degrees. I have no schedule that ever sets something to 19 degrees. Just off, 20.5 degrees and 22 degrees.

@WhimsySpoon can you help to bust this tado myth, please?

This definitely doesn’t happen with my setup.

Tome things to check, @cptdaydreamer:

Do you have Tado’s Open Window Detection disabled for ALL rooms/zones? You can do this in the app or the Tado website.

Do you have your Tado instance connected to Alexa or similar via a Skill? This might be getting involved and confusing things.

Check your Frost Protection settings for each room/zone. Do you have the Heating option enabled and it set to 19 degrees?

Finally, what does your Configuration screen look like in the Tado Integration in HA?

No, I have not deactivated it for all rooms. Just for the rooms where I have a sensor at my window. This means just the bathroom is still activated in the Tado app. Yeah, I got the Tado skill activated in Alexa.

Ehm frost protection settings? I don’t have something like this. I know that when it’s set to off it automatically activates when its less than 5 degree.

Admittedly clutching at straws here, but might be worth temporarily disabling the Alexa skill and giving it another try.

Frost protection is exactly what you’ve described. I wondered if that was kicking in and taking control.

The next time it happens, it’s worth taking a screenshot of the room in the Tado app to see what it’s been set to (Auto, Heat etc).

Hello,

First, thanks for amazing blueprint. It works perfectly fine with window/door sensors as long as they are defined in HA as windows. I have some sensors declared as doors (ie balcony door). Is there a chance to extend blueprint to support entities marked as doors?

Cheers
Bartek

Sure! There is a version that accepts any binary sensor:

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.
Happy Automating!

I’ve just stumbled upon this thread. Thanks for all the work you’ve done so far, @SmartLiving.Rocks.

I can see a lot of versions on the blueprint being posted here and I’m struggling to find which one is the “main” one which covers most use cases - I tried looking at the repo as well but it’s difficult to see that from first glance. Can you give any tips?

Something that would potentially simplify the implementation - have you considered using dynamic scenes? You can capture the state of the climate entity in a dynamic scene before turning it off and once the minimum_close_time expires, you can turn on the scene which will bring back the old state of the climate entity (including modes, temperature, fan speeds etc). This way you won’t have to create all those conditions for every (original) state of the climate entity :slight_smile:

The one you can download in the first post.

Yes, the blueprint initially had only a few lines of code and now it has 28 revisions since the introduction of blueprints to Home Assistant :grinning: Due to the feedback and suggestions for improvements from the awesome users of this blueprint it grew over the time and fits to min. 96% of climate devices.

Actually the point with fan speed and heating/cooling mode is a good one. I have a fan coil thermostat that has a lot of features. Scenes - Home Assistant does not work because you need to hardcode a scene_id to the bp. Normally a user has several bp and the would all refere to the same scene_id and that would screw up the bp/ automation. Thanks for the idea!