Window open, climate off

Hi @SmartLiving.Rocks and thanks for this great blueprint!

I’d like to kindly ask if it’s possible, to add another (optional!) „custom action“.

I have few TRVs which don’t work by setting hvac mode (they automatically switch back to auto after few minutes with the windows still open…), instead I need to set the temperature for the valve to close (by e. g. setting target temperature to 7 degrees Celsius).

Would be great to have this option in this blueprint. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

If not by adding a custom action, maybe as direct options:

• „Window open target temperature“
  • „Window closed target temperature“ (not sure how to save the one set before running the automation and restoring that value)

Thanks for the research I will test and cofirm.

1 Like

Hi, this blueprint is designed for general purpose and not for - as you mention it - a few corner cases. I think that more than 80% of climate entities are capable of handling the blueprint.

That would mean to replace the service turn_off with a temperature. The chance that the change will stop working is too high.

Yes, the most challenging part is to save the temperature in a variable. I think an additional input.number helper (that the users have to create manually before they can use the blueprint) would be necessary.

Maybe you can create a workaround like this guy on github. Please share with us the TRV models that are not working.

1 Like

Hi @SmartLiving.Rocks

I am just passing by to share the results of my tests with your Blueprint.

I used it for a while and figured out it didn’t match my requirement.
In parallel, I investigated arount Templates and found something more suitable, at least for me.
Here is what my automation looks like now:

- alias: as you like
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: WINDOW
    for: "00:00:30"
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: #whatever condition you like
    state: 'on'
  action:
  - service: >
        {% if is_state("WINDOW", "on") -%}
          climate.turn_off
        {% else %}
          climate.turn_on
        {% endif %}
    entity_id: CLIMATE

Thanks for sharing this blueprint; it helped as a basis for me

Can you please explain in a more detailed way what your requirements are? What exactly did not work in your specific case and how did you figure it out? I am just asking because the latest response from you was:

1 Like

Sorry,
I left home and realized afterwards that I did not explain my reasons

While I was testing your automation and some others, I had to restart HA regularly.
It created some strange behaviour on my climates until I figured out that restarting HA kills the delays or waiting phases of any automation.
By introducing the template I shared with you, I got rid of this behaviour and keeps all the benefits of your automation

That is absolutely right! And I have to say that your way is also very smart! :partying_face: I am wondering what condition you are using. How does the automation know what to do in the summer vs. wintertime?

1 Like

Thank you

I use a manual binary switch as condition. Just as simple as that :smiley:

Exactly what I had in mind.

1. The binary switch has to be created manually.
  2. The binary switch has to be switched manually in order to know the difference e.g. in summer and wintertime. Of curse, it could also be automated. But there are too many manual steps for a click and go blueprint that makes it easy for non programmers and Home Assistant beginners.

I am very happy and a little proud that my work helped you in your learning curve! And I totally understand your point of restarting Home Assistant. I will change the description and inform the people about that!

1 Like

Instead of alerting everyone with the issue, wouldn’t it be appropriate to change your automation and use the template?
So far it has no downside and the next will download a new version directly.
Just proposing, this remain your blueprint at the end, you decide

I tried to explain to you that it is not possible as you have to create a “helper” before you could be able to use this blueprint! It makes things more complex and that is an issue! If I am wrong please provide me a working code that I can test. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hallo zusammen,
vielen Dank für die Automatisierung. Funktioniert bei mir soweit ganz gut, aber wenn das Fenster geschlossen wird, geht das Thermostat nicht mehr auf den Heizplan des Thermostat. Es wird einfach nur Heizen eingestellt. Wie kann ich die Programierung anpassen das es nach dem Schließen des Fensters wieder auf den Heizplan schaltet? Als Thermostat nutze ich Tado und die Fenstersensoren habe ich von Aqara. Leider habe ich hier nichts passendes in den Dokus gefunden.
Beste Grüße
Averall

Hello, everyone,
thank you very much for this blueprint. Works pretty well for me so far. But when the window is closed, the thermostat no longer goes on the heating schedule. Heating is simply set. How can I adjust the programming so that it switches back to the heating plan after closing the window? Tado Thermostat and Aqara window sensors. Unfortunately I didn’t find a solution in the documentaries here.

Best regards
Averall

1 Like

Hello - thanks for another corner case. It is a Tado specific behavior - so let us see how we can get it working. Please share with us the hvac_modes: of your climate entity. Go to developer tools (states) and search for your entity and give us a copy of the attributes. If there is something like Return to tado automatic control we are almost there.

1 Like

Hi and thx for your Support,
Here is the desired status when the window is closed:

1. Schedule:

Best regards
Averall

Great! So the desired state is auto after closing the window? I think we have to also set the climate.set_hvac_mode as described here Climate - Home Assistant

The bad news is that I cannot do the modification within this blueprint because it would/could break all the existing users automations.

Try to add manually my Blueprint from Github and see if it works: https://github.com/SmartLiving-Rocks/Blueprint/blob/12724f32c5da6ee8086cc7a6fdf3c5616cdb54e3/tado

I have added the following lines that hopefully do the trick:

# Only for Tado Users who want to use the Tado Heatplan "auto"
- service: climate.set_hvac_mode
  target:
    entity_id: !input 'climate_target'
  data:
    hvac_mode: auto
1 Like

Hello again,
I just adjusted it as you wrote and it works fine. :ok_hand: :+1:
Thanks very much
Averall

Fantastic! Great that I could help.

1 Like

Have you ever managed to get it working? I am asking because we had a simmilar case with Tado yesterday. We used the service climate.set_hvac_mode instead of climate.turn_on. Your thermostat shows the same hvac_modes: as mentioned in your post:

hvac_modes:
  - auto
  - heat
  - 'off'

You could also try this blueprint and tell us if it also works for you and your HM-CC-RT-DN Thermostats. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Thank you for the template for Tado, it works wonderfully!

What do I have to do if I want to switch off or switch on all rooms at once? One reason Heating period ended

If it should be automatic (outside temperature, date, etc.) with an automation. For manual activation, I recommend a script that deactivates all climat entities. In your case (Tado) via the service climate.set_hvac_mode

This blueprint only works if the clumat entity is not turned off.

1 Like