Wink/PubNub not updating

Thanks @w1ll1am23 !

Working now for me. Fairly significant lag in status updates though compared to original pubnub response.

Flip a light switch on in the HA interface. Light comes on immediately. Flip the switch off, and out goes the light right away, but the HA lovelace switch turns off for second, then goes right back to the ON state for about 10 seconds, then it turns off.

I wouldn’t expect Wink to be able to provide the speed PubNub does right off the bat. PubNub has been doing this for a long time and does a great job, Wink will have some catching up to do.

For anyone interested I posted to the Wink subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/winkhub/comments/bky3va/wink_no_longer_using_pubnub/ and tagged a Wink engineer in the post so maybe they will reach out with some better details around what is actually going on.

2 Likes

Thanks, I can live with it since most of my stuff is voice command switched or automated. Don’t use the UI to control all that much.

There is one thing I really wish I understood better - and that is this Wink local control feature option. What does that really do?

I explained that to @jaalperin yesterday might should update the doc to explain better. but, this is what I said.

Local control is kinda complicated. I’ll list what happens below.

1. HA starts up and asks the online Wink API for all devices and that response includes the local control ID
  2. HA asks for a local control token
  3. HA talks directly to the hub when you try to change a devices state using the local control ID it got from step 1
  4. Updates are still pushed via PubNub so internet is required for reliable updates.
  5. If the local control request fails (time out) basically anything other than a 200 response from the hub it falls back to sending the request online.
2 Likes

Thanks again for that Reddit post. I had PM’d the winkengineer to make sure he was aware of it, and provided him with the Wink support case#. LOL - I even contacted support@pubnub to raise the issue!

But then, you came to the rescue - so from all of us here - a huge big THANKS!!!

I’ve done a couple of restarts now and still getting this error over and over.

2019-05-05 10:17:41 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:17:41 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:17:42 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:17:42 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:19:51 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:20:52 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:21:53 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:22:56 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))

State changes are working fine though and I’m not seeing as much of a delay as some are reporting either. Just wondering if I need to change something or if this is an expected error.

I also posted a link to this thread in the wink subreddit “Wink Down Again” thread.

1 Like

Yeah not sure what is going on there. That is coming from the pubnub library we are using in pubnubsub-handler. Could be that Wink isn’t handling the connections the same way PubNub was. I do see when I am proxying the Wink app a lot of disconnects and reconnects? So could just be something on Wink’s end they haven’t figured out yet?

We are currently on pubnub version 4.1.2 and there is a 4.1.3 so could try testing that out?

1 Like

I’m game for testing it! Just say when. And I am now also seeing the same errors @rpitera reported.

1 Like

Then I won’t concern myself with it at the moment - just wanted you to be aware of it in case it was important. As always, thank you for your quick support to us Wink users. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that you moved off the platform some time ago, it’s damn nice of you to jump in like this.

I’m personally waiting on a Conbee II (impossible to get in the US so I am ordering it from the UK and having it shipped) and will shortly be joining you on bidding a fond farewell to Wink.

EDIT: I am also up to test it if you want! Standing by.

Seems to work but not fully, Wink relay buttons not working anymore which control smart lights. Dome Sensors work !

Change your version in the mainifest.json to 1.0.3b4 it should use pubnub 4.1.3 and see what that does.

@rpitera just glad I am able to help out. I am sorry to see people leave Wink because I have put in a lot of work, but like you said I even left. The WAF is what it all comes down to, and when a commercial product can’t offer the stability of an open source product then users should switch for sure.

1 Like

Still not working after a couple of restarts. Sorry for the beginner level question…but which log do I need to look at to see if the pubnubsub-handler gets downloaded?

Oooo didn’t think about Relay’s those may need a fix pushed to them from Wink and I don’t think I would expect that since they are discontinued…

No problem, check your home-assistant.log

Oh man! Wink better push a fix to the relays if they really expect any goodwill from those of us who remain!

Narrator: They won’t.

:grin:

The sates for the buttons should still get pushed to Wink but the relay probably won’t get push updates. So kinda strange that pushing the buttons doesn’t work, but there could be something else going on there.

1.0.3b4 seems to have done the trick @w1ll1am23! No more errors and everything still showing up.

I am sorry too, because your hard work on Wink made it so much better in HA. It’s a pity that they don’t seem to be able to keep the commitment on their end. And ironic after the engineer in the subreddit claimed that the reason things were so quiet on their end is that they were ‘focusing on platform stability and robustness’…

Yeah. RIght.

UPDATE: Ooops. Spoke too soon; they’re back.

2019-05-05 10:38:15 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:38:15 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:38:16 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:38:16 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:40:24 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
2019-05-05 10:41:25 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: Connection Error: ('Connection aborted.', RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'))
1 Like

Check @rpitera’s last post, looks like 0b4 should fix the errors. Nope spoke too soon as well.

1 Like

I’ll still take that over the 1000+ lines in my log before. At least with these errors I’m getting accurate states! LOL