Wink relay buttons controlling zwave devices

Example zwave_1_switch. And office_relay top button

That is not an entity id. Did you mean binary_sensor.office_relay_top_button?

I used an online example. Through HA i can turn on switch. But i want to control the dz15s through the wink relay side buttons.

Zwave light switch:
tap_action:
action: toggle
entity: switch.dz15s_1bz_decora_smart_switch_switch

Wink relay config.

switch:

• platform: mqtt
    name: “Daughter Fan”
    state_topic: “DaughterRelay/relays/0/state”
    command_topic: “DaughterRelay/relays/0”
    payload_on: “ON”
    payload_off: “OFF”
    state_on: “ON”
    state_off: “OFF”

Looks like you need to define some sensors for the buttons:

Off topic what is the mqtt2zwave addon used for?

It’s so you don’t have to use the existing Home Assistant Z-Wave integration as that has issues like needing to reinitialise the entire network every time Home Assistant is restarted. By running Z-Wave in an addon that talks to Home Assistant via MQTT this is avoided. You can restart Home Assistant and the Z-Wave to MQTT container keeps running.

There may better options now though. I don’t use Z-Wave so am not the best to advise which to use. See Z-Wave JS here: 2021.2: Z-Wave... JS!

The wink mqtt switch you have is only going to control whatever you have wired to the Relay device. You don’t actually have to have anything wired to it though; you can use that mqtt topic as the trigger in an automation to turn on and off the dz15s. But minimally you’re going to need to join them together with an automation because you don’t have the zwave device wired to the actual Wink Relay.

I have used Relays both ways, direct wired and through separate automation. Both use the same mqtt topic though.

This my 3rd day of playing around with HA. Any chance you can post a mini how-to or steps to guide me through it?

3 days? You haven’t even started yet…

Try this as an automation (I don’t know how your config is set up whether you have your automations in configuration.yaml or not)

- alias: whatever_you_want_to_call_this
  trigger:
  - platform: mqtt
    topic: “DaughterRelay/relays/0”
  action:
  - service: switch.toggle
    entity_id: switch.dz15s_1bz_decora_smart_switch_switch

If the mqtt topic is correct that should toggle the zwave switch on/off by pushing whatever button is your “0” (probably the top button on the Relay).

I added your code into my configuration file. No errors from HA but buttons do not work still. U

automation:
Your code above.

Can you see that topic when you push the button?

Day 4. See topic? Where

A client of some sort. I use mqtt explorer but there are others. Also I’m assuming you have mqtt integrated in home assistant. If not, https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/mqtt/

I have mqqt client installed

So do you see the wink relay topic message when you push the button? Without that and mqtt integrated in home assistant none of this is going to work.

What are you using to see your mqtt messages?

Yes it shows OfficeRelay/buttons/0/click/1 i am assuming that is the topic.

If mqtt is integrated in HA, try this for your automation:

trigger:
    topic: “OfficeRelay/buttons/0”
  action:

Using “automation:” ?

Yes, if your automations are stored in configuration.yaml.

You would do the following (no ident on automation):

automation:
    trigger:
      topic: “OfficeRelay/buttons/0”
    action:

I have tried every possible trigger variation from the mqtt client log. It doesnt turn the light on. Any way to test my automation? No errors in the log