Wired Alarm with 2 sirens serving 3 floors

Hello everyone,
I know, it’s the umpteenth topic about how to make smart my old wired alarm system, however, I decided to open it since my situation seems to be a bit harder then usual and I’ll try to describe it floor by floor.

• Ground floor: main alarm panel, managing 3x motion sensors (1 each floor) and 3x magnetic sensors, powering up 2 sirens (1x internal, 1x external) both 14V. The main panel also power up and receive signals from an expansion unit (up to 8x zones) installed on the 1st floor. 1 keypad.
  • 1st floor: the expansion unit receive signals from 7x zones (all magnetic contacts) (3x from 2nd floor, 3x from 1st floor, 1x from ground floor).
  • 2nd floor: 1 keypad.
    I don’t have much room in the boxes where the units are installed, moreover powering them up with a power adapter isn’t feasible since I don’t have sockets nearby.
    I know that Konnected is the most suggested solution but it appears to be quite complicated with my situation, therefore I was wondering if there were other solutions.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Are you saying there is a siren onboard the alarm panel ??

With internal I meant indoor, external = outdoor.
Here’s how it looks like the indoor one.

I believe you need this:

https://www.elkron.it/prodotti/it500web/?lang=en

I know for sure KNX can integrate with it, then HA can integrate with KNX, but I do not know if HA can integrate directly. You may be able to use a scrape sensor on the LAN page interface, but I do not know what it looks like or if that is possible

It looks like the KNX integration uses a specialty module, not ethernet, which uses a proprietary protocol

@richieframe, unfortunately such interface isn’t compatible with my product, they work with MP500/8 while I have a MP508TG. My one, sadly, doesn’t have internet addons.
I’m afraid that I’ve only 2 options:

1. To find a way to run all sensors’ cables in the main panel area and replacing my system with another one, maybe even Konnected but I don’t know how to address the 2 sirens issue.
  2. To purchase a new alarm system both suitable for my current setup and, at the same time, HA friendly.

2 or 3 or 20 sirens is not a problem, most sirens only need you to send 12V their way and they make noise.

Th issue you run into with sirens in most cases is current draw, and the fact that the panel output for sirens has a limit. Using simple relays and powering the sirens using the battery or an aux power supply is an easy solution.

The siren in your picture looks like it gets constant power and is tripped by a low current wire (maybe)

Where are you getting 14V from? Nothing in the picture suggests that there are any 14V components. If the power supply is 14V, it should be, in charging situations you always use a slightly higher voltage to charge.

@richieframe, @Mikefila, I mentioned the 14V based on their specs with I below report.

Indoor siren:

• Nominal power supply voltage 13.8V (direct current)
  • Maximum absorption 140mA
  • Sound pressure level 120db (A)

Outdoor siren:

• Nominal power supply voltage 14.4V (direct current)
  • Maximum absorption 2.5A
  • Sound pressure level 103db (A)

13.8 “nominal” devices are typically 12V devices in practice, as a 12V alarm system or aux psu outputs around 12.7 to 13.5V in order to maintain charge on a “12V” battery, the actual working range for a 13.8V siren is 10.5V to 15V.

a 14.4V siren on the other hand is unusual, though you may also notice it is a very high current draw, that is because high efficiency pezio alarms do not like extreme temperatures, so outdoor sirens use old school tech. I would also believe that the working range of that device is within the range on a 12V power source

I don’t think 12v would be a problem either. As was mentioned, you could use a relay to isolate the 14v circuit to the sirens. The siren pictured seems like it has separate trigger / power inputs, meaning it may not even need a relay. Is there a model number or wiring diagram on the inside cover of the main panel?

Unfortunately I couldn’t find anything in English, only Italian.

No, this great the reason the exterior alarm is getting 14.4v is that it has it’s own battery backup. It’s actually a pretty advanced siren with dual triggers making it difficult to just cut the wires to it. A 12v supply will definitely power the siren

There are several ways to connect this, the easiest way would be just to connect it to the 12v siren out. One of the trigger contacts would have to be jumped and it will sound when power is applied. The other is to keep al the different security features but it 's a bit more complicated.

This is a newer cut sheet but from the wiring the 2 units should be similar.

1 Like

@Mikefila, thanks mate, I’ll look to find a solution. I believe that my only chance is to run the zones’ wire in a single area.