Wireguard problem, worked before but stopped working recently

I am a fairly new user of HA. I have it running on a RPi4 since June. I also set up the wireguard add-on back then without problems. I use DuckDNS (which is updated with the DuckDNS add-on in HA), and obviously a port forward on my router.

This all worked perfectly. I was able to VPN from my Android-phone to Wireguard, and use HA (but also regular internet) through that tunnel. But since some time, this setup doesn’t work anymore.

I can connect to the VPN on my phone. It will state is connected, but I will get no response. When I look at the connection-details on my phone, I see the connection-time and sent packets increase, but packets received remains at zero. In the Wireguard-log in HA, all I see are entries like this:

[17:49:49] INFO: Requesting current status from WireGuard...
interface: wg0
  public key: (removed)
  private key: (hidden)
  listening port: 51820

peer: (removed)
  allowed ips: (removed)
  persistent keepalive: every 25 seconds

I do install updates regularly, so I am on the latest HA and Wireguard-addon version.

Does anybody have any idea how I can start investigating, or does someone have experience with this kind of issue?

Problem solved. For the Google-users ending up here, it turns out my ISP had turned on CGNAT without informing its customers…

I am facing the same problem. Could you find any solution?

Hi, yes, it was resolved luckily. It turns out my provider had put me behind CGNAT. They had not done any CGNAT before, but that was it. Luckily they have a free option to have a dedicated IP-address like before, and that solved the issue immediatly.

1 Like