Wireless Install

I am trying to understanding how ESPHome → Install → Wirelessly works.

For my test.yaml device, I can get these to work:

• Plug into this computer
    • This impressed me as this computer is on a different LAN than the computer running Homeassistant/ESPhome,.
  • Manual download (and then flash in with USB to TTL interface)

This will not work (expected)

• Plug into the computer running ESPHome dashboard
    Note: the compter running ESPHome dashboard is NOT on same LAN as the ESPHome device

If I try:

• Wirelessly
    Get these errors:
INFO Successfully compiled program.
INFO Resolving IP address of test.local
ERROR Error resolving IP address of test.local. Is it connected to WiFi?
ERROR (If this error persists, please set a static IP address: https://esphome.io/components/wifi.html#manual-ips)
ERROR Error resolving IP address: Error resolving address with mDNS: Did not respond. Maybe the device is offline., [Errno -5] No address associated with hostname

My assumption is that the computer trying to resolve test.local is the (remote) computer running the ESPHome dashboard; not the computer I am sitting at (which IS on the same LAN as my test device).

Can someone confirm?

If so … then some sort of hint that Wireless OTA installations will not work if the Device is not on same LAN as the computer running Homeassistant/ESPHome.

mDNS does not work across subnets, which is why it doesn’t resolve. If you can still physically plug it in to a computer follow the advice and set a static IP address.

Nick,

You are confirming what I worked out: Install->Wireless does not work unless the Device is on same subnet as the computer running ESPhome.

I will see if I can raise a documentation issue to make that clear.

Well it does if esphome knows what the IP address is.

So you can forward mDNS packets through your firewall, or you can do what I suggested and set the address in your esphome yaml file.

I also have issues with OTA, it seems not to work on wired ESP’s.

My work around, enable web-interface, compile/download bins locally, and use web-interface to upload bins :wink:

This would also work on esp’s on a different subnet :yum: