WLED - Hardware Question

Hello All, I wanted to start a new project using the WLED libary.

My wife purchased this lamp about a year ago.

But because the lights are so bright we never turn it on.

So I figured maybe the WLED connected light would be a good fit so I can control the bulbs and brightness of each one. I believe this is possible with this software correct?

I was looking on amazon and this is the list of items that i think i will need please correct me.

I hope this is correct. Thanks for information!

I am not sure why you want 65 ft of cable, but it is cheap enough.

And you really only need one of each thing, but once you have played with esp’s, you’ll want to use the rest for other projects anyway :slight_smile:

PS: for inspiration Modifying my swedish candleholder

1 Like

Thanks for the reply bro!

Yes there are extras for sure, but as you said they can be used for other projects! It makes more sense to get stuff in quantity.

So is everything on the list enough to get everything done? With these components and the software can I have each individual light turn on/off and be any colors I want independently?

And one more question, can I cut each light separately, splice the wires and run them to each “flower” in the lamp?

My thought is to run one to each of the black flowers and each of the larger flowers. And just place a few in the base where the original ones were.

Thanks for the example, it will be my first attempt at soldering :grimacing:

I appreciate the feedback more then you know :slight_smile:

Solder and a soldering iron. If you are going to increase the wire length between LEDs, some heatshrink.

I am no expert, but I think splicing wire in will be ok. On long runs of LEDs you need to watch voltage drop, but I am guessing you won’t have enough of them to be concerned.

1 Like

If so I could inject power at the end of the run!

I can’t wait to get this going!

I’ll post a video of the completed project!

I appreciate your help as always!

Ok, got it completed! Now I just need to play around with the software a bit. But I think it looks much better and wife approved too!

Great stuff. Good result.

1 Like

Wow, you really made it better. I can only imagine the increased WAF! :smiley:

1 Like

Nice! Could you share how you ran wires to each led?

Thanks! Sorry I took so long to reply.

The original bulbs had two wires that were already running through the hollow “stems” so I reused those but the new pixel lights required 3 wires running to and 3 wires running back (6 total) so I was able to run 2 extra wires in the middle of most stems then whatever I couldn’t pull through I super glued the wire back down the back of the stem (out of view) then sprayed the wires with a silver metallic spray paint. it actually blended together very well and even up close it’s kinda hard to see.

Not bad for my first wled project!

Thanks again for your help. Your always here when somebody needs help. It’s appreciated!

1 Like

Lol, always good to get that approval. Makes future projects easier to start!

Nice! Thanks for details, these are always welcome. Those extra wires blends quite nicely.

Tip for the next one. You only need to hop data wire from led to led. It doesn’t matter what way power comes in.

Good to know! That would have made it much easier, and with only 8 total lights injection probably wouldn’t have been necessary. I’ll chalk that up to a lesson learned! Thanks for the tip!!