Workaround for Lovelace on older iPad (if you have a x86 server)

I’ve been looking for a way to repurpose my iPad 2 and using it as some kind of control panel for my Home Assistant install seemed like a great idea. I’m new to Home Assistant, and self hosted things in general. I’m actually new to posting on forums, this may be my 2nd or 3rd post on any forum ever. As such, I’m not even sure where this post should belong.

Anyway, on to my workaround. I have Home Assistant running in a docker on an Open Media Vault system. I spun up a Firefox docker container following the instructions in Techno Dad Life’s YouTube. I installed a full screen browser on my iPad (Dolphin), navigate to the web instance of the Firefox docker, put it in full screen, then navigate to my Home Assistant instance in Firefox.

This is more of an idea of how to get this clunky workaround to even work than a how to guide. If there are requests and I have the time I may attempt to put together more details on getting this setup.

Edit: I’d like to add that I have only recently added this. I know its clunky and not a great solution, but for now it seems to be working ok

1 Like