Works With Nest

I’m rebuilding my home assistant setup and was just getting to my Nest thermostat. I have it working on one server, but when setting it up on another it’s asking me for a PIN. I don’t recall doing this before, but assume I did. When I do this and sign into works with nest (I have an existing username and password), I then go click ‘Allow’ and it fails (“Oops! We’ve encountered an error. Please try again.”)

I assume I need a PIN from this page to input into home assistant. Is there a way to get that PIN from my existing HA setup?

See:

Thanks! That did it (once I realized what I was copy/ pasting was cutoff in my terminal window…).

Wow I might try this. Same thing happened to me.

Thanks this helped me migrate to a new isntall.
However, on my old install, the nest configuration was in nest.conf in the main config folder (with configuration.yaml) and I had no .storage folder on the old install. I copied nest.conf to my new install, restarted, and things are working again!

Interesting. What version of HA are you using? It is my understanding that it stopped using nest.conf a long time ago (like many, many releases ago.)

Thx for this suggestion. Worked well since Google is de-prioritizing the Nest API and has put it in MOL.

One question I have is - has someone tried to add another Nest device (thermostat or other to their existing Nest account) and been able to get the details using the API?

I have 2 Nest 3rd gen thermostats working fine and talking to HASS via the Nest API since couple of years (no issues even after they/Google put the Nest API/accounts in MOL in Aug 2019 - since we had dev accounts created and working).

But now I have added a new Nest Thermostat E to the mix (3rd one for basement use) and it was added fine in my Nest account and can see/control it etc. But when I try to interface it via HASS it seems to only return the prior 2 devices. So I’m a bit lost here. On the Nest website it mentions
Note: The Thermostat E with Heat Link for the EU is NOT supported in the Nest API, and will not appear in the JSON returned from the API. All other Thermostat models are supported.

But in my case I am not in locale EU but US hence the above note shouldn’t apply.

I even tried to use my OAUTH credentials and token (from HASS) and directly call the Nest API and it only returned with 2 devices and the data for them. Hence it is something on Nest side not HASS.

If anyone has experience connecting their Nest Themostat E to HASS in non-EU (US, etc) if you can please provide some insight. Also if you know if Nest doesn’t show any newly added devices irrespective of type to existing accounts even if we have existing logins/auth credentials - that would be helpful narrowing down this issue. Or otherwise if someone has added devices and they do show up fine after the Aug 2019 deadline to existing accounts then that would prove it’s not the account/Nest but device that’s not supported.

Appreciate your insight/help if you have any.