Nest to turn off their API

I have a question, I had to reinstall my hassio installation recently. So obviously I lost my nest thermostat integration. I have saved config and storage files. Is there a way to add this back in. I have tried to add the nest information back in my storage files but I’m doing something wrong because hassio will not reload after doing so.

I can’t access the pin as requested from the ui for obvious reasons.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Google just announced the new Device Access API. Any comments or insights on this? The access for individuals is only planned late 2020 however…

2 Likes

Another year?! At least they communicated something. Hopefully smarter people then me can implement the HomeBridge solution that @Townsmcp linked.

Im having the same exact issue for the same reason and I am hoping for an answer myself

Yea, I saved a backup so I could just restore but I guess you can’t place a backup in a fresh install…

@Corey_Maxim @Matt112

You can try copying the entry from the old .storage/core.config_entries file into the new one, but you have to be careful how you do it. The file is JSON formatted, so you have to copy it into the correct place, and you have to be careful about whether or not the entry should end with a comma. (Basically, if you put it at the end then it should not have a comma at the end. And if there are any other entries after it then it should have a comma.) So…

{
    "data": {
        "entries": [
            {
                "connection_class": "cloud_push",
                "data": {
                    "impl_domain": "nest",
                    "tokens": {
                        "access_token": "REDACTED",
                        "expires_in": 315360000
                    }
                },
                "domain": "nest",
                "entry_id": "7aec0ca1587246ea8d822fb23588a773",
                "options": {},
                "source": "user",
                "title": "Nest (via configuration.yaml)",
                "version": 1
            },  <== REMOVE THIS COMMA IF THIS IS THE LAST ENTRY IN THE LIST
                    OR ADD A COMMA IF IT IS NOT THE LAST ENTRY AND THERE'S NO COMMA
        ]
    },
    "key": "core.config_entries",
    "version": 1
}

I’m not sure about the other Nest related entries from the other files in the .storage folder. That may be enough for it to discover everything again. (I’d try just that and see how it goes.) If not then you may need to copy the Nest related entries from .storage/core.device_registry, and maybe even .storage/core.entity_registry.

5 Likes

I just saw this I did it about 5 minutes after I posted and it worked!

Step 1. Sign NDA

Eff off google.

Yep, perfect! Thanks Phil. I figured it was a easy fix. I appreciate your reply. Now hopefully others that have the same problem can find the fix!

That’s only for commercial partners. I expect this isn’t the case for individuals.

1 Like

Yes I see that. There does not seem to be any option between commercial partner and individual.

But why would an api be subject to an NDA? Isn’t the point that an API enables access, not hides it.

if you connect google_assistant can you control the nest through that?

google_assistant exposes HA components. It doesn’t allow HA to control Google assistant (or I have missed this big feature)
My advice, do backups…

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::joy::joy::joy:
Don’t reinstall Nest Android app, you must convert your nest account to login into app. And… Nest component will not work anymore.
You can lol at me

But I’m reading Google homegraph API. It seems we can read state at least.
Keep in touch

Don’t know why we should “lol” at you. You’ve discovered another way how Google forcing their costumers to migrate and that’s imporstant info…

Btw: For those who haven’t noticed it yet. Here we have pretty promissing solution :slightly_smiling_face: :

1 Like

Unfortunately this doesn’t work with a Google account. Users like me, who bought the thermostat a short while ago and just got into HA, are still looking for a solution.

that was a sucker buy.

100%. I’d never buy something like that. There was someone here who started a thread promoting a ‘special’ after the end of the API had been announced as well. Hope no one fell for that crap.

Have you checked it? Yes it does work with Google account.

1 Like

In his topic he explicitly says:

• 2FA accounts won’t work with this, as I’m basically automating a web-based flow for authentication (there’s no way at this point to provide 2FA to the integration, though I’m still looking into this)
  • Google accounts won’t work with this, as they use a different authentication mechanism

Since I bought it about 1,5 months ago I was forced to use my Google account, which also uses 2FA. But I have to look into this. Thanks for letting me know!