Would like to update docker container to latest version

Hi, I would like to use portainer to update to the latest HA container version, but when I try to pull and redeploy, I get an error message from portainer:

Request failed with status code 400

So, what is the correct way to update this container?

TIA,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

Chances are you need to remove portainer, It messes with some types of HA installations.

But this is a docker-based container.
Mike.

I know it’s in a Docker container. Do you have supervised HA or Container HA?

I’ve got Container HA.

I created it with:

docker run -d
–name homeassistant
–privileged
–restart=unless-stopped
-e TZ=New_York
-v HomeAssistant:/config
–network=host

But now I’d like to change the tag to :latest and redeploy using portainer.

Are you saying that I need to do it from the cli?

Mike.

You are probably ok then, but I’ll let someone else step in so I don’t advise you incorrectly.

I’ll bump this thread to Installation as that is where these things are usually looked at.

Thank you.

Go in to Portainer, and in to the Registries area. Add a new registry, select custom. Name it GitHub, and use “ghcr.io” as the URL, then add the new registry.

Now you can use Portainer to (re-)create a container and select GitHub for the Image, and specify home-assistant/home-assistant:stable. It looks like you defined a volume for /config, so you might be able go in to the current container in Portainer and tell it to “Duplicate/Edit” and change up the image location and leave the rest the same. If not, you can just stop your current container, remove it (don’t delete the volume), and create it anew using the new image (if you need the full url, specify ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable).

Well, I followed those directions and am now running:

• Core 2024.9.2
  • Frontend 20240404.2

So, I think it worked!

Thanks again,
Mike.