Would love some help getting data from my smart meater!

Maybe someone can help me out that has done this, i am a bit stuck…, been doing a lot of googling and im almost there, @adamg, @mladem ?? Anyone?

Anyways, i can successfully start my rtl_str in raspberry pi and it is listening on the frequency that i belive is my gas meter (according to a quick google search that someone made)

I had a heck of a time installing go, but finally did and downloaded https://github.com/bemasher/rtlamr, however i do not know the life of me how to start it…, it says its as simple as the following but it does not work

Usage

See the wiki page Configuration for details on configuring rtlamr.

Running the receiver is as simple as starting an rtl_tcp instance and then starting the receiver:

# Terminal A $ rtl_tcp 

03%20PM

# Terminal B $ rtlamr  

this is my variables for go

export GOBIN="$HOME/projects//bin"
export GOPATH="$HOME/projects/src/"
export GOROOT="/usr/local/go"

but if i run something like, this, i get an error no such file or directory

david@raspberrypi:~$ ~/projects/src/src/github.com/bemasher/rtlamr -msgtype=idm --format=json --filterid=XXXXXXX --single=true

-bash: /home/david/projects/src/src/github.com/bemasher/rtlamr: Is a directory

david@raspberrypi:~$

I also found this, so i also know how it’s being decoded: https://web.stanford.edu/class/ee26n/Assignments/Assignment6.html

1 Like

somewhere i think the amr was installed wierdly, but now i get this after reboot:

rtl_tcp: symbol lookup error: rtl_tcp: undefined symbol: rtlsdr_set_bias_tee

Hi David. I am no expert in golang, so I do not know about those errors. But I will try to help you with this. What version of golang are you using?

My biggest issue was getting golang to install properly, but once I did it worked good. While I was installing I made some notes so I did not forget stuff. You can see below and compare it to your procedure.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get update
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install python-pip python-dev build-essential
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat <<EOF >no-rtl.conf
blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
blacklist rtl2832
blacklist rtl2830
EOF
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo mv no-rtl.conf /etc/modprobe.d/
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install git-core
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install git
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install cmake
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd rtl-sdr/
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr $ mkdir build
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr $ cd build
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr/build $ cmake ../
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr/build $ cmake ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr/build $ make
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr/build $ sudo make install
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr/build $ sudo ldconfig
pi@raspberrypi ~/rtl-sdr/build $ cd ~
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo cp ./rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo reboot
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ rtl_test
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ wget https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.11.1.linux-armv6l.tar.gz
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo tar -C /usr/local -xvf go1.11.1.linux-armv6l.tar.gz
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat >> ~/.bashrc << 'EOF'
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ export GOPATH=$HOME/go
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ export PATH=/usr/local/go/bin:$PATH:$GOPATH/bin
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ source ~/.bashrccmale
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ go get github.com/bemasher/rtlamr
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo reboot

In one terminal I run simply “rtl_tcp” in the root directory. In another terminal I run simply “rtlamr” again in the root directory.

thank you, after googling and seeing how someone else started the go script, i got it working (wrong path crap), anyways, i tried chaning the centerfreq so that it could listen on a frequency i believe works with PGE, and nothing yet, but according to their website, it only send’s out data once a day…

I got a nortek HUSBZB-1 and it should read the smart meter from PG&E, but I can’t find the MAC address of my USB device to pair with the meter!

You can find the “stream my data” info on your PG&E account page.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

PG&E meters can’t be read with RTL-SDR, they only speak ZigBee. The device that you want to acquire is a Rainforest Automation EAGLE-200. I don’t personally own one but have friends that do. It has a built in integration with Home Assistant as well.