Writing a component for Luxtronik Heatpumps

I added it to the original post.

Here is another link: https://youtu.be/7WS2MhA43ns?si=2xcZUog8OsPuvX1h

1 Like

I know there’s a website somewhere where you can put in the values of your heatcurve and it will show the slope. It’s for luxtronik and/or alpha Innotec. But I can’t find it anymore, can you guys help?

Hello, I have a Roth ThermoTerra BF 6 heat pump with Luxtronik V3.85.8.

I’m new to the Home Assistant world and still about just to buy equipment, but very interested to read and also to control some values. Especially I’m dealing with the hot water procedure. Since I only have a 180l tank it’s very important to adjust ideally not to run into hot water availability issues, but still remain economic.

Problem: Even having fresh hot water with 48 deg, when filling the bathtub, the hot water soon starts again, but for a while the water temperature even decreases and you have to wait for 30-60 minutes to have hot water again for washing hairs or so. Do you experience this too?

I got already some useful support to turn the hot water pump from automatic to manual mode and low speed. At 1-2% speed you have approx 20 deg spread (instead of just 7 deg in automatic mode) and very soon >40 deg supply line temp (-> hot water at the top of the tank).

The only problem is that after a while with increasing hot water temp you get too high supply line temp at the end. In order to keep this within reasonable range you have to increase the hot water pump speed accordingly.

The Nibe F or S1255 water pump has this method implemented (“target temperature charging”) which works very well. When you adjust e.g. 48 deg hot water temp the Nibe keeps the supply line temp 2 deg above this target temp all the time from the beginning on with modulating the hot water pump from very low at the beginning to faster at the end.

Do you think it is possible to build this method with HA?

By the way besides the heat pump speed also the inverter speed could be an option to control above mentioned target temp.

I think this would be a very useful topic especially for the heat pumps with the smaller 180l integrated tank.

Thanks in advance for you feedback and input on this.

A standard 180L installation is be able to handle a normal house hold without issue. It should only be optimized once the basics are in place and it just works on its own. Home assistant can be used to opimize for cost. It should not fix a faulty or overoptimized installation.

Cold water is added to the top of the tank causing the hot water to be pushed out first. Physics should causes the hot and cold water to stay somewhat separated.
I have seen examples of wrongly connected water tanks which caused cold water to come out first, but perhaps 48C is too low for the separation to work.
I’d recommend to back to the factory default settings and see if the problem persists. If so, call an installer. Some goes for the supply line issue (which I don’t fully understand to be honest).

Thanks for your reply.

However I don’t know where it should be connected wrongly. The water tank is built in by the factory and then the installer connects cold and hot water pipes, which is properly done.

As far as I know the hot water is physically at the top where it is also being taken. The new cold water is being added at the bottom.

With the factory setting the above described problem exists. I know several users with same heat pump system having this issues.

The problem is that with the factory setup the pump is working quite quick causing mixing cold and remaining hot water. Further the pump speed results in only 7 C spread, thus it takes very long to lift cold water from e.g. 20 C to useable hot water temps at approx 40+ C.

When I put the pump in manual mode with 2% speed, this results in 15-20 C spread and I have very soon 40 C supply line temp and some new hot water at the top to use. But the only problem is that at the end when hot water temp is higher the supply line temp is getting high. Therefore increasing the pump speed would help.

Again this is what Nibe is doing in factory mode “target temp charging”, but Luxtronik is missing this option! And this is what I’d like to build with HA.

Thanks for the reply, did not check the site for some time :expressionless:

My Setup is following:
Novelan LAV 12.3
in the device there is a pump with variable speed.
then I have 2 efficiency pumps outside, which are going to the old and the new part of the house.

In the meanwhile we have changed the setup a little bit.
So for now in my case the HUP and FUP are always in the same state. (2 external efficiency pumps)

In my setup the internal water pump will be controlled when ZUP will be active.

So for heating the house, HUP/FUP1 and ZUP will be active, but when heating the domestic water, only the ZUP runs.

For anyone interested: if you want to understand the slope of your heatcurve, you can use this site to simulate it: Luxtronik Heizkurvendiagramm

Hi, somewhere in september our Alpha Innotec Hybrox 5 will be installed and I am going to start using this integration, many thanks for all the work!

I was curious if it’s possible to toggle between the 4 different smartgrid levels using modbus tcp / writing to a value, and if so, what id/values that would be?

Looking forward!

I also have a Alpha Innotec with smart grid capabilities, but I have not found a good use for the smart grid functionality yet. My impression is that the integration provides similar capabilities, but with more granular control and entirely through software instead of through relays.
The HA integration allows you to enable/disable heating/cooling/hot water, modify the target temperature and enable/disable eco mode…my current impression is that this is similar to what the smart grid functionality does.

I’m always interested to dive into the details and getting more information out there for everyone to use.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I was kind of hoping that the smart grid levels could be set through software as well, as I would prefer that over using 2 hardware relays.

I could indeed manually increase setpoint or hot water tank like the different levels do, but I must say I would prefer to have my default settings and then just pass the smart grid level which is:

1: blocked usage
2: lowered usage (lowers room temperature)
3: normal usage
4: increased usage (increases room temperature, higher tank temperature)

You can also set the increase/decrease in the menu:

I use Home Assistant to alter the hot water temperature when net congestion is detected. The hotwater temperature is increased from 42 to 50 degrees celcius.

Because of the high voltages in the net the PV inverter shutdown, so with extra load I can use a bit of extra energy and somewhat delay PV inverter shutdown.

1 Like

As some of you might have noticed, the BenPru Luxtronik integration gives an error when changing values on the UI. As far as I can tell, the updates still happen. Details on the issue be found here: RuntimeError: Caught blocking call to sleep with args (1.0,) inside the event loop - WP nicht steuerbar · Issue #259 · BenPru/luxtronik · GitHub

As suggested by @BenPru, removing line 280 from lux_helper.py (and Restart HA) seems to solve the issue for me.

Taking a backup before modifying production code is not a bad idea…

And give the repo a :star: or :heart: while you wait for the reboot to say thanks to the maintainers. A patch will come. We need to be patient.

1 Like

If the heater loses power, it loses the date and time. Is it possible to set the date/time from home assistant?

I have tried to modify parameter ID_WEB_AktuelleTimeStamp with luxtronik.write service but I can’t do it.

It should not lose its date and time on a power outage. My guess is that there is a RTC with an empty battery.

Hello together,

does anybody know If I can enable the venting function via homeassistant?

On hot days, I have ~4K difference between the basement and the first floor, so I often manually activate the venting for some hours and this is “cooling” the first floor a little bit.

Turn it off, download diagnostics via the luxtronik2 integration page.
Turn it on, download diagnostics again.
Figure out what statistic changed in the 2 diagnostics.
Go report this on the GitHub page of the luxtronik2 integration. :slight_smile:

Good idea, thanks. Will try it :slight_smile:

Luxtronik 2024.9.30 has bee release by @BenPru

This is another stable release with a ton of fixes and some nice improvements. I have been using the beta version for some time and it works fine.

Many thanks to everyone contributing to this release. Please leave a :star: on the GitHub repo to show your appreciation.

Something to keep an eye on: https://www.alpha-innotec.com/de/service-und-support/smart-home---apps/home-energy-management-system-hems