Writing a component for Luxtronik Heatpumps

Tried out HA 2023.9.3 today. Still getting the same result. all entities are gone. I’m left with 3 devices an 0 entities.

Doesdno one else encounter this problem?

BenPru is working on a new alpha version which is compatible with current and future version of Home Assistant. I have tried it and although there is a lot of good work in it, there are still some breaking bugs (hence the alpha tag).

If you ever wondered when the right time was to jump in and help out, now is that time: Issues · BenPru/luxtronik · GitHub.
There are several open issues which are tagged with “help wanted” where you (yes YOU), can contribute. Having more information on which bugs occur with which setup helps a lot to zoom in on the problem.
A test instance is recommended, but if you are as brave/stupid as me ;-), you can test on your production instance. I disable the integration and reboot HA when I’m done with testing for the day which works for me.

2 Likes

Have you upgraded your luxtronik firmware? → Check the network config from luxtronik or restart your heatpump.
Can you connect via mobile App (direct not via cloud - e.g. Luxprobe)?
You can try the new release with better network handling: 2023.10.10-Alpha-Core-Preview

2 Likes

Hello!

First I have to say thank you for this great work here. It was really helpful for me to read through this thread and get the integration of my heating pump running :slight_smile:

But I have one question. I’m trying to search for one calculation parameter which I can not find. I want to see the status of the FUP 1 pump, but it is not in the description of the luxtronik interface.

Does anybody know how I can get the state of this pump?

Thank you!

@Psych I think FUP1=HUP. So if HUP is true FUP1 it is also true.
Can you check this? Have you a constellation were FUP1!=HUP?

FUP1 and HUP are not the same pumps.

HUP is the pump for the heating circuit inside the heat pump, used for heating, cooling and domestic water. The 3 way valve (BUP) will determine where the water goes.

FUP1 is the first pump of an active underfloor heating mixer. In low temperature heating systems it is usually not present, but in traditional high temperature systems it is.

When the heat pump is in heating mode, HUP and FUP1 will be active, but when it is heating domestic water, HUP will be active but FUP1 will not.

@Kars Thanks for the clarification.
Do you know the ID for FUP1 or do you know how I can derive the status?

The target correction entity can be used for this purpose.

Is this field like adjusting the thermostat to set desired room temperature ?
I don’t want to be messing with the internal workings of the heatpump. I would just like to be able to set the desired temperature via HA, like my thermostat would do.

No. The heatpump calculates the flow out target temperature by the heat curve.
With this values you can correct the calculated temp from -5 to +5.

I don’t want to be messing with the internal workings of the heatpump.
I would just like to be able to set the desired temperature via HA, like my thermostat would do.

Exactly my opinion. But unfortunately it’s not that easy.
I’m currently doing this with automation. But I’m planning a thermostat that has a preset “Home” and thus controls the heat pump completely via HA.

1 Like

I do see it in the websocket interface, but I can’t find it in the binary API.

Basically FUP1 is active whenever the water circulates through the central heating/cooling circuit, so I think it can be derived as ID_WEB_HUPout and not ID_WEB_BUPout.

Hello, I’ve asked before but no one answered me. Is it possible to make a switch to turn on the circulation pump entity binary_sensor.luxtronik2_dhw_circulation_pump

Isn’t it only a status? If the DHW is on, the circulation pump will also go on. If the heatpump isn’t heating, why would you want to turn this circulation pump on? It’d only cool down the DHW.

I need to turn it on independently

I don’t think the heatpump works that way. So I doubt there will be an option to turn it on, but I’m not the creator of the integration, so i might be wrong!

Can you elaborate on why you need to turn on the pump independently? Sometimes there’s another fix for a problem.

@benpr,

can you tell me how to get the temperature value for the RBE?
I still can not figure it out how to do that.

Luxtronik tuning guide (sample size: 1)

The goal of this guide is to show how Home Assistant can be used to optimize the efficiency and provided comfort of a luxtronik heat pump. I’m not sure if this is the right place to discuss Luxtronik settings in detail…

Cold weather is a good time to do some tuning, or see the effect of tuning. Over the last few months, I have some changes which I waren to share here.

My setup:

• Alpha Innotec brine/water heatpump with in floor heating.
  • Shelly 16A smart plug for power metering.
  • The BenPru HA integration
  • Lots of appreciation for @Bouni and @BenPru for all the hard work they put in it.

My goal:

• To have the power consumption as steady as possible day and night since I think this is how my setup works most efficient.

Step 1:
A few months ago, I updated the firmware. I’m not sure if it was the firmware update or integration update, but I noticed some new (or previously overlooked) settings which I haven’t noticed before. This got me to dig a little deeper to find configurations I could tune and what I should leave to the professionals.

Step 2:
I don’t know why anyone would want an inefficient or unoptimized heatpump, so I enabled these two settings:

Step 3:
I found that my heat pump had the wrong heaters configured in
service > settings > e.efficient pump > heating system
and
services > settings > rbe > heating
(Menu names are translated from Dutch, so I hope they make sense.)
I set the heaters from radiator to floor heating.

Be very careful when adjusting installation related setting. Read the manual and/or consult your installer.

Step 4:
Next up, I looked at the power consumption. This was my starting point:

It appeared to my the heat pump was overshooting it’s target. The room temperature was often higher than the target temperature.

Normally, I’d recommend to be careful with changing a pre-determined heat curve, but this was a good time to make small adjustments.
This video explains how to adjust the heat curve and what the values mean: https://youtu.be/7WS2MhA43ns?si=2xcZUog8OsPuvX1h
I lowered “heat curve 1” 0.5C every other day until the room temperature matched to the target temperature.

I also lowered the room thermostat impact from 200% to 150%

I hope to lower this further, but the house can capture quite a bit of sun, so I’m afraid this will cause big temperature fluctuations in spring.

This where I am now. The narrow peeks are hot water which can be ignored. There are still some odd spikes and dips which I hope to get rid of, but it already a lot more consistent and comfortable.

There is a noticable difference between the 16th and 17th. Using the history functionality of Home Assistant, we can investigate.

I raised the room thermostat temperature by half a degree since lowering the heat curve made it a bit chilly for the misses. There is also a sudden dip in room temperature on the 17th which explains the bumbu behavior around that time.

The heating flow rate is another interesting metric but can be a bit hard to interpret. I don’t recommend it as a primary metric. In the example above it shows that we’re on track in smoothening the curve, but still have some room for improvement. Whether or not these improvements can be achieved is in sure.

Final thoughts:

• It is between -2C and +2C which is not as cold as it gets, but reasonably cold to adjust heat curve 1.
    I plan to adjust heat curve 2 when it is 15C-18C.

• Unfortunately, my SCOP calculation is broken for some time. I wish I though about this before I made the changes to see of my SCOP would improve.

• I often used the history function to look back at the changes I made and the effect it had on the temperature in various rooms

• I hope this was interesting and that it helps some of you to get started with tuning. Remember: measure > small step > wait > measure some more.

2 Likes

Thank you! Awesome stuff. I have the same set up as you, so interesting read.
One question: what does Heat Curve 2 do?

Looks like hysteresis is not set correctly i.e. too low. My heating output curve is very flat. 2-3x a day.

Good question.
I added a link to an instruction video

Where is the video…?