WS2815 - wrong colors

Hi,

Few weeks ago i received WS2815 LED and assembled with my Wemos D1 Mini pro. It was working well, but i was checking it “in air”, without 12V to 5V converter and powering my wemos through USB. Now i decided to put it into final destination and power Wemos with Pololu D24V10F5 converter. When i did this it worked, but the colors are wrong… Sometimes it’s pink, blue, pink, blue and so on. When i try to change the color in the HA sometimes it changes, but not for the desired one. What am i missing? Is my converter working bad? Or power source?

Schematic diagram:

My config:

esphome:
  name: wardrobe_binary_sensor_and_led
  platform: ESP8266
  board: d1_mini_pro

wifi:
  ssid: redacted
  password:  redacted

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Wardrobe Binary Sensor And Led"

captive_portal:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

light:
  - platform: fastled_clockless
    chipset: WS2813
    pin: D4
    num_leds: 168
    rgb_order: GRB
    name: "LED w szafie"

I’ve corrected the schematic for you. It has some errors. Follow this and it should work.

PS. You might have damaged a component with the previous wiring.

I have change it, but it still flickers, sometimes change to wrong color and when i turn it off, first 4 leds remain turned on :confused: do you think that converter might get damaged or wemos?

#Edit
I cheked it with different Wemos powered with usb and common ground and problem still exists… Additionaly, when i change brightness color also changes… Wtf?

#Edit2
Well, i cheked it with different power source and the problem still remains… Maybe its too long data wire?

Could be. It’s easy to test that. Just shorten the wire to it minimum to test.

A level shifter should help in ether case.

You can test the stepdown module with a volt meter, if the input voltage is within 9-36v then the output should be 5v. Its good.
Your wemos seems ok as it boots up and you can connect to it.

Esphome has another driver you can try , the neopixelbus driver is for WS2812 led’s as well.

Converter is ok - it gives 5V output. I have tested Leds with short data wire (but ground for wemos was still long, i dont know if it matters?), but the problem still exists… I am losing hope… Should level shifter be closer to wemos or closer to LED strip?

The wemos/esp8266.

The link that Mcarty posted is a excellent source of information, it should not be discounted.

That guide is so good they made a offline version for easy reference. : https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide.pdf

1 Like