WTF {% %} {{ }} Jinja2

I don’t see it as a mistake. I found YAML to be very logical and easy to pick up. Way more human readable than some other markup languages.

Jinja took a little more effort but the simple concepts (e.g. how to retrieve a state) were relatively easy to pick up. I’m still learning.

As a pure markup format, it’s okay’ish. I mean, there are not many alternatives anyway if you want human readable. I absolutely hate languages with syntactical significant whitespace, but that’s mostly personal preference.

But config is not code, code is not config. Or at least, it shouldn’t be. That’s what separate scripts are for. The way Jinja2 mashes all this together is horrible. Of course you can learn anything. But learning Jinja2 looks about as fun as trying to pick up COBOL or something from the days of yore. It just doesn’t look and feel like a modern language.

Pyscript is much better and cleaner. It’s still Python (which I don’t like), but subjectivity aside, that is the way HA should go, IMO.

Like you, I have very few function nodes in my Node-Red setup. The few I do have were more about me learning how the function node worked than an actual need to do whatever in code. I’m a professional programmer but I prefer keeping my flows visual. That way it’s easier for me to tweak and tune the logic as various edge-cases present themselves.

1 Like

That’s quite an advanced automation no one should say this

We’re getting to the point.
It’s just save=state.light[N]; for i in (1, N): state.light[i]=save.state[i-i]; state.light[0]=not(save)
Pseudocode is easy, but in YAML+Jinjia it’s very complicated (I’ve done it in python_script, I’ll post it ASAP).

Another easy automation for me is: turn_off(light.any, climate.any except light.porch_lamp).
[I know it’s close to doable with YAML alone if it wasn’t for the “except”, so I added it - not an uncommon need]

A complicated automation for me is:

• take (external_temp, internal_temp, climate.furnace.state), feed it to some filtering (kalman?) and estimate (heat_power, heat_dissipation_ratio)
  • given (heat_power, heat_dissipation_ratio), estimate for current (external_temp, internal_temp) how much in advance turn_on(climate.furnace) so that internal_temp reaches given setpoint at a given time.

I’ve endeavored making my whole home smart, so I’d like to play smart things with it!

Templating YAML with Jinja2 started as a big trend a few years back.

Actually, I have nothing against Jinja di per se; but the user base of Ansible and an home automation system are very different: the former work with it everyday, the latter do it from time to time, maybe months apart. That’s why a structured language, with an overload of possibilities, especially with a scattered documentation, becomes a stopgap.

Moreover, an home automation has to be reliable and robust to exceptions and errors (how many people writing templates ask themself when they will be evaluated and if they’ll always yield meaningful results?).

If I had to bet, in such a situation I’d first consider a visual language, like Node-Red or Blocky. However it has to be well integrated; if you have to write hard-to-remember function calls inside graphic items, its usefulness is lost.

I repeat: I’m not pushing for it, I know it would be a though work; I’m just suggesting not to take YAML+Jinja for granted as the best decision.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate a little bit? I don’t get it…

Now I got it, but that’s more of a physics or statistics problem than a code problem… Depending on the information you are counting with it might just be a rule of three… once you get the formulas figured out it will be irrelevant whether you use NR or jinja or whatever…

Anyways, I’m not sure this way of achieving this is worth the extra effort vs simpler solutions.

I’m not sure too, it heavily depends on how difficult is to implement it. If it is simple, it’s free energy saving, small or big.
Anyway it’s only an idea - I’d like to work on it soon, if you like it too, we can work on it on a separate thread.
What about automatically selecting furnace or HVAC depending on what is more efficient at a certain temperature? Possibly using an efficiency curve calculated from real data? Measure its degradation to understand when filters are clogged or there is some circuit leak? Develop a strategy to automatically disconnect less important loads to reduce maximum consumption and have a smaller electrical contract?
For me, having brought electrical devices under computer control means playing with ideas like that, not struggling to learn simple boring automation…

If you are aiming to achieve a real advantatge vs simpler things I suspect it will become difficult to implement. I mean, with simpler conditions like “is somebody home?”, “is everybody sleeping?”, “is the room empty?”, etc, you achieve, let’s say, a 90+% efficiency effortlessly, it’s bread and butter. It’s really up to you whether that remaining 10% is worth the effort. It sounds to me like you are trying to apply rocket science to design a pencil, but hey, if you are really willing to go this route I’ll be pleased to see how far you get. You’ll need at lest some basic knownledge, if not advanced, of Thermodynamics and of course statistics to figure out the real scenario your house is in order to get some extra %'s of efficiency.

I tend to agree. I avoid crazy automations for my smart thermostat because it’s already smarter than me with it’s setpoints and target temperatures. Then again, my house is newer and energy efficient. Takes 4-6 hours to drop 3 degrees :confused: . I have to turn off the heat at 6pm so that it’s cold for sleeping.

3 Likes

If there is one thing from this thread which I think could be realistically implemented would be a common, recognizable badge to be added to all the text inputs that supports templates.

Pyscript unstable? Running fine here and reliable.