WTH - Aliases for exposed entities for Google Assistant / Alexa missing in UI

I love the easy integreation with NabuCasa-Cloud to Google Assistant and the editor is also nice.
But one big thing I miss in the editor (and primary reason why I don’t use it) is the missing option to add aliases to entities.
It is possible to do it via a Yaml-Config but not the UI.

Are you talking about aliases that would be for the smart assistant?
Like you call it “Kitchen Corner Lamp 2” in Home Assistant but “Kitchen Lamp” in Alexa/Google?

If that is the case, you can already do that by renaming it in the Google Home/Alexa app then the smart assistant uses that modified name for identification.

Ok, didn’t use that, but good to know.
But in that case, I would have to manage entities in two places and only with 1 name.

Currently I can manage an entity only from Home Assistant (via yaml) with multiple aliases.
For example, my I address my PC with the aliases “PC”, “Workstation”, “Computer”. Or a lamp which illuminates multiple things with each name.

Multiple aliases are awsome, if you don’t remember the specific name, different users (gf, me, maybe guests) or just call it by different names in your daily life.

Exporting multiple aliases would also be nice for the use case I’m looking for - I have a smart switch that is connected to a portable AC is the summer and a space heater in the winter. Rather than renaming it twice a year, it would be nice to just have both aliases refer to the same device.

1 Like