WTH allow water_heaters to be used in thermostat Lovelace cards

Every house hase on…yet there is no standard Lovelace card for water heater/boilers and the existing thermostat cards for climate do not support water_heater domain.

EASY FIX: Why can’t water_heaters be used in thermostat cards? The water_heater domain was broken out of the climate domain in HASS 0.81.

Example data that is available from my Rheem EcoNet heat pump water heater (not all is exposed through APIs yet):

Seems like a thermostat device to me.

Dose the water heater have an API?

If not then it becomes difficult to integrate with home assistant.

@tom_I Yes, there is an API and there are already Home Assistant integrations, but there is no consistency between them and they are generally implemented as generic sensors with services.

In fact, there is a whole category of integrations for Water Heater, just not consistency or derived entity base class with common services.

The existing thermostats in Home Assistant are “climate”, which doesn’t quite apply to these devices.

Oh, so you want a whole new domain?

entity_id: domain.object_id
            ^^^

So for example:

enitity_id: water_heater.my_rheem_water_heater

And collect all the services under that domain. e.g.

service: water_heater.set_mode
service: water_heater_set_temperature
etc…

How is it distinct from the existing climate domain?

@tom_l my mistake, there is a water_heater domain that most integrations have switched to (they used to be climate). The issue is more having a card that supports water_heater domain entities.

You cannot use the thermostat card with water_heater domain devices.

So this becomes simpler: just allow water_heaters domain entities to be used in thermostat cards.

1 Like

Some custom thermostats do support water_heaters in addition to climate. E.g simple-thermostat.

2 Likes