WTH are light profiles not configured in UI and reloadable?

Light profiles (light_profiles.csv) is a great future that I think might be underutilized because I think they it might a inaccessible to a lot of users.

Light profiles are still set in a cryptic csv file and HASS must be restarted when they are edited for them to take effect. Figuring out the values and putting them in a csv file can be daunting and make the feature inaccessible to some, and it’s a pain either way. Many don’t realize the feature is even exists. The docs are also a little sparse, which doesn’t help.

It would be peachy if light profile presets could be set in the UI in the settings somewhere maybe with sliders and an icon that displays the result for the user. Would be even better if the new profile configuration would take effect without having to restart HASS, either automatically or by button reload.

I’m pretty sure this feature was ham-fisted into a really old version of HA and now it’s just there because it existed back then. I don’t think it’s been touched in the 7 years i’ve been using HA.

1 Like

As a side note, you can basically do this with scripts without needing to touch light profiles and you don’t have to worry about restarts. Also, it’ll work with any light setting opposed to the forced ones you need to set in the profiles.

I’d argue that we should remove profiles and come up with something different in it’s place that does similar functions.

1 Like

Hi Petro,
would you have an example how to do this with scripts?

I’d like a few standard profiles (Reading, Focus, Dimmed, Nightlight) defined that I am able to apply on several lights independently.

Would appreciate any pointers in the right direction!
Thanks a lot!

Following. I want to do the same thing as Maren - I’m going to setup a csv (just simpler than dozens and dozens of helpers) and give it a go with a script. Ideally, I would like to use the hue-like-light card but not have to have a scene for every light/combination. Just have a set of standard scenes …

1 Like