WTH are storage and yaml modes two seperate things

I’m not a coder, but my front end raw file has 20k lines in it. I would like to add !include and anchors that have names that don’t get changed, and yes, comments so I can remember what I did when a change breaks the code. But I like the visual editor, especially for quick changes. Do we really have to chose between the two?

(Related, why can’t I easily see the full yaml of my scripts, groups, etc if I create them with a helper)? T

Yes you do.

Storage mode saves data as json which does not support comments or includes.

I realize there are back end reasons why you do :). But speaking from a user standpoint, it is a WTH moment…

non-storage/YAML is user-facing / manageable, storage is not meant to be adjusted by an end-user and is managed by Home Assistant itself.

I ended up here because I started getting this “You are in yaml mode” when trying to edit my dashboard. Was driving me nuts. Then I figured out it was because I had added this line to my configuration.yaml file:

mode: yaml

I had done this while following the instructions to add a custom card from HACS.

There really needs to be better checking of configuration changes like this. For example, “Are you sure you want to disable the Lovelace UI?” Changing the mode to yaml basically disables the ability to edit a dashboard using the UI.

Those checks exist in the UI. You can make any dashboard UI only or yaml only through the UI. This message did not appear because you manually added it via YAML from outside HA’s control.