WTH can't I associate a presence binary sensor to a person?

Why can we only associate device_tracker to a person to determine their presence?
Why can’t we select binary sensors with device_class: presence in the person dialog?
You could then have persons home or away based on templates (and without having to create fake device_tracker and have automations to ‘see’ them home or not_home).

I guess it’s because presence is about more then just the home-zone. The device-tracker state always has gps coordinates that are compared to multiple locations/zone. A binary sensor can’t do that.
Network based device trackers derive their gps coordinates from the home assistant location.

Still voted though.

Exactly, so this should not be an obstacle. And if needed, gps coordinates could be added to the template binary sensor’s attributes.

How can a binary sensor report the name of endless zones or gps coordinates? It only has two states.

Through its

That would solve a problem that I have with dogs presence

1 Like

My initial use case was for the cleaning lady, I was deriving her presence from a calendar. But I’m sure there are plenty others (like pets, even if for some, they may not equate to ‘persons’ though :grimacing:).