WTH can't we use entities in group as state triggers?

Take a look at this example, a simple automation that sends a notification whenever a door/window i opened/closed while the house is empty.

- id: '1596462142862'
  alias: Notification door/window when away
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.door_frondoor_contact,binary_sensor.door_porch_contact,binary_sensor.window_livingroom_contact,binary_sensor.window_bathroom_contact,binary_sensor.window_lounge_contact,binary_sensor.window_bedroom1_contact,binary_sensor.window_bedroom2_contact
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.house_empty
    state: 'on'
  - condition: template
    value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.state != trigger.from_state.state }}'
  action:
  - choose:
    - conditions:
        value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.state == ''on'' }}'
      sequence:
      - service: notify.both
        data_template:
          message: '{{ trigger.from_state.attributes.friendly_name }} open'
        service: notify.both
    - conditions:
        value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.state == ''off'' }}'
      sequence:
      - service: notify.both
        data_template:
          message: '{{ trigger.from_state.attributes.friendly_name }} closed'

Wouldn’t it be great if we could put all the relevant sensors in groups and use those as triggers?
This could also be done by adding a new parameter to the state trigger called in_group which checks the state of entities in any given group, like this:

- platform: state
    in_group: group.outer_doors, group_windows

This would, in my opinion, greatly simplify the way we write automations. Want to add or remove an entity? Just update the group and let Home Assistant handle the rest.

I originally wanted to propose the possibility of supporting wildcards in state triggers, but while writing the post it occurred to me that groups would be a way better match for this.

Apparently you can. I haven’t tried this myself yet, so YMMV

Sure a group state change will trigger an automation but you can’t currently obtain the entity in the group that caused the change. You just end up with the group id.

Another issue with that approach is is that groups are ‘on’ when one or more of the entities in it are ‘on’, so if another entity changes state to ‘on’ it won’t trigger the automation again as the group state won’t change.