WTH do I have to click so many boxes?

Let’s say I want to call a service (in developer tools, automations, scripts… anywhere from the UI), let’s take light.turn_on as an example.

After having selected the service, the UI gives the option to choose area/device/entity. After clicking one of those, a dropdown menu appears with all available areas/devices/entities.
Personally, I don’t like scrolling through the list and I just want to start typing to easily find the thing I’m looking for. Every single time, I just start typing. In my head, my cursor should already be active in the box I want to search in. Then I realise I actually still have to click it until I can start searching.

I realise I’m being pedantic, but it would take a lot of extra clicking along with some frustration away.

What I’m getting:

What I’d like without an extra click:

Can’t you just press tab?

Unfortunately not

Really? I’m not at my computer right now so I can’t check. But if not that seems like a bug?

It certainly does. If you have clicked the box already and then dismiss the dropdown menu while clicking anywhere else, following with clicking choose x again it does show the wanted behaviour I’m describing. Have you never noticed this behaviour before?

No not really. I basically make all my automations and scripts in yaml. Calling services in the UI is pretty rare for me so I probably just clicked. Def agree that you should be able to tab between inputs in any form though.

1 Like