WTH Does the TP-Link Integration still have the "unavailable" bug

Have hit the Same issue very disappointing. One thing is for sure the access is not 100% secret as Amazon Alexa still works for me and I have Old and New firmware HS100’s (Not tried Google).

I also have problems with HS110 not being discovered and unable to add manually. I have four HS100’s which work fine. All work without issues in Kasa app but can’t get HS110 to show in HA

KP303 is now working as expected today, not sure if changes have been made to the integration or it’s because I’ve blocked more TP-Link requests from the hardware.

Blocked the following domains:

download.tplinkcloud.com
n-deventry.tplinkcloud.com
use1-api.tplinkra
n-devs.tplinkcloud

These all appear to be new domain requests as the only other one I had previously blocked was devs.tplinkcloud

(new user so I could only post 2 links the other domains end with .com)

I don’t know what’s happening. Earlier today all my five kasa plugs went unavailable, I checked the app and they were dissappearing intermitently, I allowed them to access internet and apparently that fixed the issues on the app but not in HA, where they weren’t detected. I just restricted internet access for the plugs and was able to re-add the integration to HA and everything is working fine.

Thankfully, I didn’t buy a stack of HS110s on Amazon Prime Day. Oh, wait… /s

Have put in a painful workaround with an Alexa Routine for On / Off for each plug, and call it from HA.

Do we know if the Integration developer is still around? There’ll be some sort of discoverable API there, surely?

I’m getting kinda confused here. Maybe it’s just me, but shouldn’t we stick with the “unavailable” issue in this thread, and when talking about the TP-Link firmware update breaking the HA integration, post that over in the thread where that’s the subject?

5 Likes

Very interested in this fix as well, as this issue causes a breakdowns in my dashboard. I have a bunch of TP Link switches, and they all seem to go unavailable randomly. Sadly at least one is down at all times, if not more.

There is no way to tell which of my switches went down unless I check the entities list, and the only solution is to restart HA.

going to test by adding the custom components.

Is any other config required other than just adding the files to custom_components/tplink?

upon reboot, none of my devices are working

I haven’t really troubleshot mine recently as the one plug that was a particular problem is no longer hooked up, but my method to get it back was to open the app… let all the plugs show up as available in the Kasa app and then reload the tplink integration… I know it’s not a fix but seemed to work for me when I just wanted them back and didn’t wanna deal with messing around and rebooting my whole HA

I had a simular issue. The device was even not shown as available in my kasa tp-link app.
What helps for me:
Do a new pairing in the kasa tp-link, like you add a new device. I also choose a new name.
Then device was back online in the app. Then I restart home assistant and the tp-link integration.
The interessing thing: The device is back online in HA with his old name. :slight_smile:

I’ve been dealing with this issue for probably a year. Plugs work fine in the Kasa app, but not through HA. Does anyone know if there is an ETA on the fix? Rebooting HA doesn’t even fix it for me. Eventually they just come back, but I haven’t been able to figure out why.

I’ve found that “reloading” the integration works just as well as restarting all of HA. Not 100%, but neither is restarting HA. For best results, I make sure all the devices are showing in the Kasa app, click them off and on, then reload (Configuration / Integrations / tp-link.)

Thanks, I honestly didn’t even realize there was a “reload” option, and not just uninstall/reinstall. That brought back my plugs really quickly, even if it’s just a band-aid.

I have a a few of these TPLink devices. I’ve set up a HS100 and KP400, but had issues with this (After reboot devices are orphaned)

Seems HA tries to broadcast an ARP Message to find the devices by their last IP address.

My KP400 will only respond to ARP requests for its IP when it starts up, or if you PING it and it receives an ARP request shortly after.

To fix this, I put all my TPLink devices on static IP’s based on their MAC addresses, and then block them from the internet so TPLInk doesn’t flash firmware that messes them up.

Then I created a program that runs on any machine on the network that responds to HA’s ARP broadcasts on behalf of all my TP Link devices.

This resolves the issue for me.

I just input a config file to this program that has a line for each TPLink device as : XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX=192.168.0.X

Then when the program receives an ARP request for any of those IP’s it replies to HA.

For HA to fix this, they would have to Ping the device before issuing the ARP Request.

1 Like

Mine does this, and the only fix is to reload the integration, that seems to always work. But it is so annoying.

After giving my TPLink devices static dhcp addresses, they have been much more reliable. YMMV

Do you have manual setup with static or reserved DHCP IPs and auto discovery off? Reloading didn’t work for me and going to manual setup with static IPs and auto off us what seems to have fixed my problem.

i set static ips and still have the issue

I had static IPs setup at one time but not manual setup with auto discovery off because I had misunderstood that I needed all of that. I doubt you did the same, but just in case, do you have a separate entry in configuration.yaml that looks like this?

tplink:
  discovery: false
  light:
    - host: IP address
  switch:
    - host: IP address