WTH doesn't the universal integration support climate entities?

The universal integration is currently called universal media player because right now it only supports the media player platform. It lets you make a virtual parent media_player that aggregates the state of several child media_player entities and commands them all with its service calls.

climate entities need the same thing. It’s common for a house to have several heating/cooling zones and its not uncommon for someone to want to have all those zones set the same. Being able to make a virtual parent climate that actually does command and control of one or more child climate entities would be very useful. It should basically work the same as a universal media player, but a universal climate instead.

It was pointed out to me that there is now a media player group. I had been under the impression that the group integration was only intended to group things with a binary state. If it supports media player (which clearly does not have a binary state) then I would guess there could be a climate group as well. Just would need logic for how to set the group’s state when the client members are in different heating/cooling modes.

Would also be fine with that solution instead of modifying the universal integration.

“Old style” Group

1 Like

Yeah but oldstyle groups don’t have climate service calls. That’s the beauty of the new group integration. It gives you everything based on supported features of the devices.