WTH input fields got so big & clunky this year?

I can’t remember which HA update caused this - but something between 2022.2 and 2022.4. All the input fields before the update were nicer, occupied less space, and had the same color as the rest of the UI.
The update made them look worse, the shopping list is now not able to show as many entries as before and the input_datetime fields shown on mobile are not able to show as much as before and trim the content. Overall it’s a much worse UX. As far as I remember the reason was to align with the underlying UI platform used by HA UI. Cool to be up-to-date, but it made the UX worse.

WTH can’t they look like they did before the update?

I also really don’t like the “new” input fields. They waste a ton of space - in contrast to the last updates of the automation editor, where a lot of energy was put into making it compact.

1 Like

That’s a great remark really. I also think recently the devs put a lot of effort to make HA more mobile friendly in terms of displaying more compact screen elements, but the new UX design is a counter-direction to this. Hopefully they can adjust it to look as it used to be for long years, where it really proved right.

1 Like

Not really a fan of the big boxes myself, but the way they look now seems to be how Material design wants them to look :confused:

IMO it’s the result of applying responsible design
TBH I’m not sure it’s how it is because of not taking enough care about how it looks on different output devices or if it is the trend in designing pages appearing last 10 years. Or both while one comes from another.

Not sure what ‘last updates’ are mentioned above, but 2022.08 has still pretty big GUI elements. User settings share the same design.

You can see item names are duplicated. The same design is applied to the automation form, being inconsistent in using ‘redundant’ labels: