WTH is it so hard to figure out how to add a device to an area

I recently wanted to add a device to an area and it took me a really long time to figure it out.

Initially I went to the already existing area, but there are no “Add Device” or “Add Entity” options I could find.

Then I went to the device screen which looks like in the picture below.

It turns you you have to use the pencil icon in the top right corner to assign the device to an area.
To me the pencil icon looked like “Edit name” since it is placed on the name line, so it did not occur to me that I should use that to edit the device. Maybe having a three-vertical-dots menu with “Edit name” and “Assign area” commands would have been clearer?

Maybe the main takeaway is that for me assigning a device to an area to me does not feel like editing a device, but more like editing an area as the device does not change, but the area (if that makes sense).

Agree. There will be text “In [area]” between device info and device name in the top if area is assigned. It should be quite straightforward to put “add to area” or similar button at that place if area is not set.

1 Like

I like the one!

1 Like

Voted.

I just went through this same issue, as my night time automation shuts off lights on certain areas of the house. One of my lights wasn’t turning off, as it turned out to not be included in the correct area. Took a minute to figure out I couldn’t edit the area to add the device to it. But, rather (as you point out) I had to edit the device to assign it to an area.

Yes. Really. WTH :man_facepalming:

1 Like