WTH is this new Sonoff BASIC R2 V1.4 PCB?

I ordered a 3-pack Sonoff BASIC R2 with the intend to flash them with Tasmota, but the PCB has a different layout: the GND/TX/RX/3V3 connections are now at the side of the board next to the LED.
The PCB is marked with “RF R2 POWER V1.4 2019.11.08”. Did anyone else already flash Tasmota on a PCB like this?

Please read the blog post about this before posting in this forum category.

Moved to hardware.

Maybe post a picture of the PCB.

Yes, post a photo.

Sorry, I read the blog post, but this did not make clear to me where to post this. Thanks to tom_l for moving it to the correct location.

The front of the case doesn’t look any different from the previous versions and the back shows a manufacturing(?) date of 2020.07.01 and presumably a serial number (different on each of the three devices). The inside looks like this (I’m only allowed to post one image):

Did anyone else already come across this new V1.4 version of the PCB (and flash it with Tasmota)?
I’m certainly going to try, somewhere in the upcoming weeks, and let you know if it works.

Kind regards, Peter.

This is the back of the PCB:

Sonoff RF R2 Power V1.4 Flash

Thanks, that link helped. I did not need to wire the ‘key’ connection, as it is already wired to the switch.
I had just one small issue: releasing the button during flashing (with Tasmotizer) caused a reset, so I had to keep the button pressed during the whole process.

One other challenge was the time: after flashing, the timezone was set to ‘+1’ which disables the daylight savings time correction. After setting the timezone to ‘99’ the time was okay. But I had to use Google and go through the Tasmota console commands documentation to find the solution. It would be nice to have that mentioned in the Tasmota ‘Getting Started’ documentation.

Thanks for the help!

Hi! I have this exact same kind of sonoff pcb, can you please tell me where the +5v and ground point is located, so that I can run this board with 5 volt usb power, by soldering the wires to it.
I am unable to find it, please help me!

there is no +5v it needs +3.3v on the 3v3 pin

Just use the GND/TX/RX/3V3 connections in exactly the same way as the previous version of the board. Only the layout has changed: flashing with Tasmotizer was also the same as with the old version. I now have both versions flashed with Tasmota and doing their jobs perfectly. The only version I have no experience with is the original version of the Sonoff BASIC…

okay thankyou👍

I got it !:+1:

Did you find +5V & ground to power the device? (Not for flashing)

Yup I found out, how to power up this pcb with 5v DC current. But I am not hundred percent sure, I may be wrong though! Correct me if I am wrong😊

PS: (by -5v I meant ground)

+5V and -5V is 10V. You mean +5V and GND or 0V.

1 Like

Hi there. Can you confirm it works or do you guess it should? :slight_smile:
I would like to connect this layout to the 5v USB…

+5v and ground, I meant

1 Like

It should work, I am not sure

I just tried it, unfortunately, it does not work…

1 Like