WTH - Let's Support Infrared Blasting to Control IR-Only/Capable Devices

Many Devices respond to IR commands normally issued from their remote controls - TVs, Home Theaters, DVRs, DISH Satellite boxes, etc. You have these devices… Right?

VOTE!

For Developers:
The LIRC Integration does not work as per this bot-closed issue

I posted that issue and have since found and incorporated a patch to IRSEND that enables the count=x parameter to work, wrote and deployed via cronjob a shell script that picks up results from HA Button generated “shell_commands” and executes IRSEND to successfully blast IR commands.

This solution is a one off but I will be pleased to share this knowledge with a developer who has the skills to create/fix an IR Blaster Integration

Thanks, let me know. I have a wide IR Blasting need. You do too

If the issue is not fixed and you are comfortable with github, please open a new issue and don’t let this one go state.

I desire the most direct path to IR support. LIRC might not be the right IR solution, once domain savy people think on it. IR really needs a fresh look at implementation, beyond LIRC.

There are no LIRC code owners, so open issue pinging seems a (continuing) black hole, No? WTH seems an opportunity for attention.

I threw this feature into the mix not as a bug report, but as a needed feature, albeit one with background of a failed and perhaps obsolete integration.

Let’s think top down on IR support, not bottom up.

I can resurect the LIRC issue if you like. How shall I proceed?

1.) I would like to see more love to lirc support, as every single home assistant user has more than one ir remote. literally everybody could use this with next to nothing extra cost (and cases like the argon m2 have it included).
2.) A docker/klipper/mainsail integration would be very nice. My home assistant uses like 3% of cpu, 6% with frigate and an esp32cam with object detection at 1fps/s. My 3d printer uses like 3% on an extra raspi at max. I do not know, why there is so little love at using mainsail-klipper as an docker image ATM. It would really be nice to get rid of a dedicated raspi only for 3d printing.

Please read the WTH instructions:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/about-the-month-of-what-the-heck/466849

Does the support for RF/IR in esphome not meet your need? clean, scalable and available now.