WTH person has no relationship with notification device

Person can be associated with tracking devices. But there is no option to do that between a person and notification device.

In result, when sending notification ‘hardcoded’ name of device must be used for each person. the message could be sent directly to person (or at least to its preferred comm device of selected type etc)

You can make notification groups that do exactly this. Doesn’t map to persons, but you create a group for said person and add all their devices.

Would be nice to have it through the UI attach to the person though.

1 Like

I mean you’re right but this would still be nice. Notifications are really weird currently, I’m a fan of anything that coerces them into a more sensible model. Being able to be like person A wants their notifications via mobile app, B by telegram, C by text message, etc. and then just do a person.notify call sounds pretty fantastic.

Plus you’d need a notify selector to pick that service so that’d make me a happy camper :laughing:

2 Likes

not sure tbh.
If a phone is being added to the HA, I would like to make it the notification channel to the phone owner. Then just send notification to the person. Or get list of available devices associated to the person in order to send the message to them.

I cannot see an option to assign a notification group to a person

Notifications have always been odd to me. It’s a service… I would expect the notify engine to have a notify service where you provide an entity_id instead.

1 Like

Agreed! It would be nice if we could do that via the UI. Just like we have a Person<->Device Tracker mapping it would be nice to have a Person<->Notification Device(s) mapping. And an Area<->Notification area tracking.

Oh! I’ll write that WTH.

I cannot see the option in yaml too

Done! WTH Can we not map a Notify entity/device to an Area?

See this from the year 2020:

1 Like