WTH - Selling HA?!?!?

Why are people like this allowed to sell Home Assistant?

And worse still is they are doing to prop up the big closed source guys like Control4, ELAN, Crestron.

Why do you think it is Home Assistant they use?

Maybe due to this:

(Old HA logo + “runs community based home automation software”)

and this

My buddy says you buy the box (profiting by HA) and then you buy a driver to connect something in the box to the bigger control system (profiting again by HA).

I cannot find any open source acknowledgments in any documentation. Are they not supposed to at least post the code they modify so others can use and improve.

Your question is valid for all the items in that first image.

However, they are completely within their rights to do so. Here is an excerpt from the HA licence on github (bolding is mine):

Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

I’m struggling to understand this all. HA sell subscriptions for remote access and hardware in order to generate some funding, but let this guy profiteer from it??? I know its an open license but it should stop at the resale of the code. Any modified code should also be made public.

Joshai paid for it why shouldnt this guy.

The solution they sell seems to be bound to the hardware, so they have support and guarantee to provide on that.
Likewise on the software plugins they sell too.

If you use Home Assistant then you should state that, but it looks like it is a complete code, so the about section is probably left untouched or with additions, which means the credits are given as required.

We we have to subscribe and help fund HA but this guy can just sell it.

Did Josh AI not end up paying to use the code?

Imagine what HA would be with some money coming in from projects like these.

This is insane. Just leverage HA to make thousands of dollars, shore up the big player who we do not want to support. And the owner is so involved in the continuing development of HA that he never saw or replied to this comment.

The owner isn’t a person.

It this organisation:

I’m sure they are well aware of this.

As long as they abide by the licence there is no problem.