WTH, why are there still display issues with conditional cards?

Conditional cards are amazing. I don’t need to see all the information in my dashboards all the time, but like to hide a lot of it when it’s not currently important.
However, for a long time there have been display issues related to conditional cards. Issue 6632 has been open for more than two years, and the actual problem is even older.

This issue leads to empty columns on dashboards when a card is hidden.
To visualize the problem, consider this sample code (add it to the end of your dashboard yaml in the raw configuration editor to create a demo view):

- theme: Backend-selected
    title: demo
    path: demo
    badges: []
    cards:
      - type: entities
        entities:
          - entity: sun.sun
      - type: conditional
        conditions:
            state: always_hidden
        card:
          type: entities
          entities:
      - type: entities
        entities:

Next, issue 2167 is describing a slightly less extreme bug which is probably connected to the one above and leads to unwanted whitespace in vertical stacks when a card is conditionally hidden.
Created in 2018 (!), this is the oldest open issue for the Home Assistant frontend, begging the question: WTH is this still not fixed?

I am sure that I’m not the only one who would love to get my dashboards to look the way they were supposed to in the first place.
:heart:, shutter

Voted. As a reference (if i’m not mistaken) is currently the oldest frontend bug standing.

Thanks!

1 Like

Just want to give props to sgofferj for his diligent persistence in slapping down that stale issue robot for the last two years on that git issue thread!

4 Likes

Been having this issue for what, 4 years now? WTF. Please someone fix this, as there is no obvious alternative for conditional cards, I have tons of them. The issue isnt just colums, its also space being used up by hidden conditional cards. For instance: