WTH Why are weather cards confusing fact and fiction?

It appears that all the weather cards try to show both observations (fact) and forecasts (fiction) which makes the data they contain very confusing (is it fact or fiction?).
To add to this observations are recorded at specific places where physical measuring equipment is located, while forecasts are generated by super computers running multiple models to make estimations. These forecasts are not tied to the physical location of where measurements are taken. In Australia you can request a forecast for any location using a GeoHash (see http://geohash.co/).
Weather Cards should be classed as either observations or forecasts and not combined. The reasoning for this is that they are referencing different locations.
As an example, where I live I have 2 weather stations about 7-10km away in different directions, they are quite often showing different readings for various values, while the forecast for my location also varies.
They should be split into 2 cards, one that deals with the facts and the other that shows the fictional aspect of forecasts.

Nope. Do not want. I like to have all my weather information, forecasts and current observations in one place and have no trouble discerning “fact from fiction.”

3 Likes

The typical observation you get from weather services usually isn’t correct either.
It probably varies on where you live, but here it’s really bad.
The weather service even has “how the weather actually was”, and even though it was pouring rain the weather service refused to believe it and both the forecast (since before) and the observation was saying cloudy only.

I usually look at airport METAR since they are updated frequently, and if I have any interest in forecast I look at the TAF but only a few hours ahead.

Anything else is usually not accurate.

But I don’t see the reason to change the card.
Any weather that is in the future can by obvious reasons not be observations so that would be the fiction.

Ugh I hate decoding METARs TAFs and SPECIs. If I did it more often I’m sure I’d remember the format but I only have to do it a few times a year.

Fortunately our weather obs (and forecasts) are pretty accurate (BoM).

I built a website that decodes them so I learned during process.:slight_smile:

A public website?

Yes, why?
But it’s in Swedish so not sure it will be of much use :slight_smile:

Ah, inte så mycket nytta för mig då.

1 Like