WTH, why can't I work out why my snapshots are enormous?

I’ve been fighting my snapshots ballooning out in size. It got to 230GB and I deleted the logs and a bunch of files that Transmission had partially downloaded. That took it down to 200MB or so but now it’s back up to 66GB

The snapshots page just gives you an overall size.

The google drive backup addon is a little more helpful in that it gives the overall size and then tries to give you the size of each addon, but they aren’t correct as none of this adds up to 66GB

My logs file is set to keep 2 days history and is 57MB
I’m running what was Hassio on docker on Ubuntu on an Intel NUC

I feel with adding a media storage option, reporting where your disk space is going is going to get even more useful for people.

I uncompress the snapshot with winrar or 7zip and use WinDirStat to inspect the uncompressed snapshot.

I can almost guarantee your issue is esphome. And you don’t need to back it up. All the files you need to recover this are in your config folder.

The issue is that each ESP device build generates thousands of small files. Each one of these files takes up a full disk allocation unit. So while the total size of all the files may be small the space occupied on the disk can be huge.

563e308e6e229672a4682794e02a2bd127946877_2_690x446

25ayat2

Thanks for the reply.

Pulled the backup down and took it apart. Turns out it was having my NAS mounted as a folder in /share. so I could use Transmission and motioneye with it. It used to not follow that link, but now it does and it was trying to backup my entire NAS, then failing part way through.

ESP Home is ~90meg when it’s tar’ed up.

Crikey!

I still think your WTH is a good idea. Having the size on disk in brackets next to each item in the snapshot pop-up card would be of great benefit.

Also, would you like to contribute a community guide on how you did this?

A lot of people ask for it.

1 Like

I wish I could remember the steps or the guide I used