Wyse Thin Client Home Assistant OS installation instructions

I am going to be honest, I have never tried it, and I don’t have a stand either. I put mine to lay flat.

I think you would need a stand for it as they are quite narrow and any cable would cause to have imbalance.

PS.: The last time when I saw offers for brand new units, they were like 500USD or more.

Wow I think I lucked out,

I picked up the T630 earlier and it is brand new in the box, never been used complete with stand, HP keyboard & mouse for $80 CDN. I might go get the last one left tomorrow lol

Raspberry PI 4’s are selling here in Canada for $200 or more used !

1 Like

Which model? The slim keyboard and mouse combos are about between 15 and 30 CND.

I checked a returned/display model 390 CND (4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, WIFI). Used ones with 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, WIFI sells for 150CND.

Don’t forget, if you want to upgrade the SSD, it needs an M.2 SATA SSD, not NMVe.

As it is new, check the status of the official HP warranty. :wink:

You will not regret it!

Just opened it up and it looks to have 8GB DDR4 & a 32GB M.2 drive which is enough for me to play around with for the time being. There’s also a Windows sticker on it so I’ll be curious to see what’s installed.

It’s a great little unit I have to say. I’m going to have fun with this lol

1 Like

Windows 10 has an lite IoT version. But it is a valid license as well saved in the motherboard.

1 Like

I just installed Home Assistant OS on the TP630 to the internal 32GB drive using the following tutorial:

It was super easy using a Xubuntu live USB

Hope this helps anyone who just picked up one of these Thin Clients

6 Likes

That is a great video.

great vid!

When I flashed my drive though, It seemed to stall at 30% at which point the whole system became unresponsive. I left it another 5 mins just in case, then rebooted.

To my surprise, HA had actually installed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone successfully upgraded to v8.x on a HP T630?

@olddawgpowers You mention you’ve tried it on a 5020 and a 7010 - was originally planning on going for a Pi4 but since I can’t get one for love nor money I’m considering one of these… I can get either of those for roughly the same price, so just wondering if you found one to be superior?
Both are 4GB RAM and 32GB storage which I believe should be more than sufficient for HA?

I would argue about the second one, but you must know what you want to use it for.

Oh really? I was going on most guides saying 32gb SD card recommended and just translated it over to this… Do I need more? I’m planning on using it for ZigBee/Zwave and WiFi devices (replacing my Homey)

The 5020 is a smaller footprint and I believe the newer of the two, but to be honest I didn’t notice any difference in performance. I run 15 Zwave, 10 Zigbee, 5 Lutron, 10 WiFi devices and interface with Blue Iris so I am not a big user.

1 Like

For reference I only use 8.2 GB of disk on mine.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Sounds like I’ll go for the 5020 then.
I’ve got probably 3 times those devices but I would imagine that should still be fine. If it’s not then I guess I can always move to a bigger HDD

Personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere smaller than 64GB.

Otherwise, just to understand what is the problem with small installs:

But it is all depends what do you want to keep and discard.

Good to know

In that case, relevant to this thread, has anyone done this?

Thinking of picking up a Kingston SSD and a cheaper Wyse with only 16gb to swap out…

I stuck 120GB $20 SSD in both of mine. A big overkill for my requirements. I have been very happy with them. The 7010 is just setting there should the 5020 fail. One thing they only have DisplayPort for video out so you will need to make sure you can connect to a monitor. I bought a cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter on eBay.

Thanks. I have a different pc that only has displaypot so good on that

Did you do the SSD the way they show in the video? Or is there a way to do it without butchering the SSD case? (Thinking warranty)

I bought this sata cable. You can fold it and fit the SSD In nicely. 15+7 Pin SATA HDD Extension Cable Data & Power Male to Female, 11" / 28cm | eBay

1 Like