Wyze sense sensor integrations

Same here. I have few door sensors and motion sensors- they stop working time to time - last upgrade to HA 1.08 and the to latest wize in community add on

What kind of battery life are you getting on these sensors? I have a window sensor that dies after 5 months. My Aqara stuff is lasting well over a year

Are you still working on this library? I see that the last update was 9 months ago. Maybe it’s already perfect :smiley:

Hi! yes, I’m using that for me setup and I know other people are using it as well (here and with other mqtt solutions). The plugin from Vincent took off due to being a native plugin for ha. Got a couple of issues that were fixed at that time. Are you getting any issues?

does this integration get the wyze sensor’s battery level?

Yes it does, though it’s not 100% accurate. I’ve had a few sensors die at ~85% battery.

Seems like random disconnects/freezing is popping up more and more, requiring reboot of the host. Quite a few similar issues reported over on github, this one has the most activity, but I haven’t seen any comments from the developer.

Wondering if I may need to abandon this add-on and try IFTT, which I hear is not very responsive but may be more reliable.

Hi there, I would love it if you keep supporting your version, regardless of how it compares to the number of users that choose the ha integration through HACS. I hope to give it a Go this weekend (pun intended :slight_smile: )

I could be wrong here, but I’m starting to think that many of the problems that one can experience with native ha integrations suddenly not working well anymore from minor upgrade to minor upgrade in ha have to do with the fact that everything is written only in python.

It seems like quite a burden is put on the supporting developer of a native integration to have to catch up in fixing batches of hard to anticipate errors suddenly reported by frustrated users.

I’ve had far better luck stability-wise going the route of e.g. installing native deconz on a separate rpi and connecting ha to it from there, rather than use the full native integration.

Python is an essential skill for me employment-wise, but I definitely experience the downsides of it on a daily basis: interpretive, dynamic language slowness, breakage due to dependencies on other python modules, etc.
It seems to me that the larger a collaborative project is in python, the greater the risk of instability, and this seems compounded even further when using a low power, resource constrained device.

I like that yours uses compiled Go and connects to HA via mqtt, which seems like a great way to better ensure system stability.
I’m not a HA expert but

I wish for a lot more integration install options like yours using a reliable & fast compiled language like Go and connection through mqtt.

I think even the next version of the native z-wave integration will be using mqtt.
(Mine via current native integration is now broken from the last update to 0.108.8)

The native integration for Wyze Sense is great and much appreciated, and yours is certainly very much appreciated as well and I hope you continue to tweak it wherever you see fit, and that you and Vincent collaborate whenever opportunity arises!

Thank you!

Any luck with Synology hidraw drivers? Had my setup working on Linux and tried to switch to Synology before realizing no hidraw.

@henry8866 @rssorensen Any luck getting the sensors to stay online? I am having the same problem. running on rasp pi 4. 107.7. sensors just stop responding and won’t come back to working until I restart the HA server. Wishing I would have stayed with an old HA version where this didn’t happen.

If you plug the Wyze bridge to a Raspberry Pi instead of the back of a Wyze cam, can you still see/use the sensors paired to that bridge from the Wyze app on your smartphone ? :thinking:

Welcome to the community.

AFAIK, you can only see/use the Wyze bridge in Wyze app if it is plugged into Wyze cam.
I have to do that to update firmware of the bridge some time ago.

1 Like

sometimes still offline.
I read somewhere that there is another wyze integration that can still have the bridge inserted into the wyze cam. I haven’t had the chances to test it yet, not sure if it is stable and performant.

@JeromeO Jerome, yes you can. I am able to see the image from within HA, as well as from the Wyze app simultaneously. I assume that your have downloaded the RTSP firmware specific to your wyze camera. https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

Thank you for your latest answers above.
I know the RTSP firmware but have never used it.
I ordered a Raspbery Pi this week to play around with Home Assistant.
If possible I would like to be able to keep controlling my Wyze equipment from my smartphone so if a Wyze/HA integration exists where the bridge can stay in the camera, I would have the best of both worlds :wink:
Will look into this when I am ready with HA.

Hello!
I’m still pretty new, but I wanted to share a little config I did for this. I know it won’t work for everyone, but you can change the number you add by to suit your home’s rssi readings.

I noticed that the rssi readings of all my sensors were between -30 and -100 so I wanted to convert them to a percent.
Here is how I did it in the configuration.yaml:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      wyzesense_12345678_rssi:
        friendly_name: "Garage Door RSSI"
        unit_of_measurement: "%"
        value_template: "{{ state_attr('binary_sensor.wyzesense_12345678', 'rssi') | int + 100 }}"

Say the rssi’s in your house range from -50 to -130, well, just add 140 instead of 100 as I did above!
Then your -120 would read as 20%

1 Like

I have the wyze bridge plug into the server running home assistant. There is a contact sensor that is working fine (I saw red light flashes on open/close) but not reporting the status to HA anymore. Other contact sensors are working fine. Can’t figure out the reasons for a few days but I decided to change a new battery and then it reported status to HA. So I guess the battery is too low to report the status.

Does anyone know at what battery level that it need a new battery?

I was reading 90% somewhere, but that seems crazy to me!
my weakest battery at the moment is registering 87% and it has one of the lowest rssi’s as well, but it’s still registering the correct state and hitting it’s automation every time!
I have heard the batteries can be weak in the sensors which is why I’ve bought a few backups in advance.
FYI:
CR1632 for the contact sensors
CR2450 for the motion sensors

1 Like

yes I have battery stocked. I think you are right that it might be related to the rssi and distance between the sensor and the bridge. I have one 85% and reporting ok.

the tricky thing is not easily to know when it stops reporting.

Nope, just camera video.