Wyzecam integration

This is prerelease firmware from Wyze themselves. They’ve made it clear that’s a separate branch and won’t be maintained as much or receive as many new features as the mainstream one. There’s simply not enough room on the cam to do it apparently.

To get it you’d need to get the latest Beta of the app on TestFlight (Android beta may work also but I can’t vouch for it), update the camera firmware using that app, then select each camera in turn and enable RTSP. That leads you to a firmware blob which you copy to the base of your SD.

I tried Dafang hacks a while back on those cams. I used the same 32Gb cards I do now. The key was just to use a small partition while doing the actual flashing, then expand it later.

2 Likes

Would this work for xiaomi ones as well? As they are basically the same camera?

But yeah I heard something about this. Just hope it can stream rtsp without needing to connect to their servers.

I will keep watching this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure if you could use with Xiaomi ones. Even if the hardware is essentially identical I’d think there’d be a good chance Wyze firmware would be looking for Wyze device id’s or something.

As for connecting to the cloud, Wyze said they wouldn’t with the RTSP firmware but I haven’t watched the network to see if they do or not. As long as RTSP continues to function when they can’t phone home (and it really should), I’m ok with that.

Ive got my wyzecam into HA with the new RTSP software. and it shows up in unused entities. however i dont get a stream until i click on it. Also when i try to add a picture-entity card and use the camera as the backround i do not get a feed until i click on it. the only error i see is:

Error getting new camera image: Cannot connect to host 192.168.10.40:80 ssl:None [Connection refused]

Right. Known issue at this time. There is no static image feed for the camera. Only ways to get one that I know of at the moment are to generate thumbnails and put them in your www folder and link to those, or to put NVR software in front of the cameras which will generate a still for you. I don’t think either are ideal so I’ve just used a normal entity card and accept that I tap on them to get a feed.

roger! thanks

I was able to get it done in conjunction with Motioneye and its snapshot URL

1 Like

Great. Glad to hear it.

I have just set up my WYZE cam through MotionEye, however it keeps losing its connection, is anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

i had noticed it a couple times when i was trying to view in the wyze app. but it would come back

Yes; Have to either reboot or turn rtsp off/on… it is beta

1 Like

Update #2: This error occurred because of my configuration.yaml setup. Essentially I used the wrong type of include. I should have used !include_dir_list instead of !include_dir_merge_named.

Update #1: So, I don’t understand exactly what is different, but I reverted the changes and it doesn’t complain now. Never mind.

I tested this a few days ago and I thought I remembered it working. Today I decided to rename the camera, plug it back in, and now I am getting the following error. I tried both 0.91.4 and 0.92.0b1, but both give this error. Is anyone else getting this error?

You need to add " "

stream_source: “rtsp://user:[email protected]/live”

Big Update! Official Wyze firmware support RTSP

Not sure how well this firmware will do compared to the other ones out there. Will try when I get a chance.

I Upgraded my Wyze Cams to the new RTSP firmware, but not really sure what the benefit would be for this? What would be pretty awesome is that I could use my Wyze Cam Motion detection to trigger events in HA.

2 Likes

you can do that already with ifttt and webhooks to HA. i stream my live feeds into HA and add some entity buttons and Motioneye which records to my nas and been messing with their motion detection

Ok, Yes you are 100% correct. What I meant to say is doing that without any reliance on any cloud platform. Living in a third world country really puts into perspective how little I want to be reliant on an working internet connection. Want to contain as much as I can in HA.

2 Likes

some people are working on it

3 Likes

As Wyze has now introduced Wyze Sense as well as Wyze Bulb it would be good to have Wyze integration for all Wyze devices in HASS :slight_smile:

14 Likes