Wyzecam integration

Iā€™ve been testing the new RTSP firmware for 30 minutes or so. Working well with the stream component so far.

What did you use for the image url? I got the rtsp, but no jpg

Yeah, sorry, I mentioned in another thread but forgot to here. I didnā€™t find a still image URL last night and Iā€™m not sure there even is one. IRL things to do today but I might tinker later and see if I can take a periodic snapshot to disk and use that.

Would you please be able to post your camera: config for it? I canā€™t seem to get it loaded into HA right :frowning: Also, what card/tap action are you using in Frontend to display it? Thank you!!

Is the new firmware dafang hacks or something entirely different? With dafang hacks all of this is already possible that is why I ask.

Folks that had success with dafang hack of the Wyze cameras: where did you get a sub-1GB SD Card? i found one old one lying around, but there are none to be bought for the other cameras for any reasonable cost/shippingā€¦ Weird problem to have :slight_smile:

Certainly. Thereā€™s no still image url for it at the moment so Iā€™ve left it null. Iā€™ve also customized the icon. Iā€™m just using an entities card so all you see is the icon, device name and ā€œIdleā€ until you tap on it to see the stream

stream:

camera:
  - platform: generic
    name: Bedroom Camera
    still_image_url: "null"
    stream_source: rtsp://user:[email protected]/live
1 Like

This is prerelease firmware from Wyze themselves. Theyā€™ve made it clear thatā€™s a separate branch and wonā€™t be maintained as much or receive as many new features as the mainstream one. Thereā€™s simply not enough room on the cam to do it apparently.

To get it youā€™d need to get the latest Beta of the app on TestFlight (Android beta may work also but I canā€™t vouch for it), update the camera firmware using that app, then select each camera in turn and enable RTSP. That leads you to a firmware blob which you copy to the base of your SD.

I tried Dafang hacks a while back on those cams. I used the same 32Gb cards I do now. The key was just to use a small partition while doing the actual flashing, then expand it later.

2 Likes

Would this work for xiaomi ones as well? As they are basically the same camera?

But yeah I heard something about this. Just hope it can stream rtsp without needing to connect to their servers.

I will keep watching this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure if you could use with Xiaomi ones. Even if the hardware is essentially identical Iā€™d think thereā€™d be a good chance Wyze firmware would be looking for Wyze device idā€™s or something.

As for connecting to the cloud, Wyze said they wouldnā€™t with the RTSP firmware but I havenā€™t watched the network to see if they do or not. As long as RTSP continues to function when they canā€™t phone home (and it really should), Iā€™m ok with that.

Ive got my wyzecam into HA with the new RTSP software. and it shows up in unused entities. however i dont get a stream until i click on it. Also when i try to add a picture-entity card and use the camera as the backround i do not get a feed until i click on it. the only error i see is:

Error getting new camera image: Cannot connect to host 192.168.10.40:80 ssl:None [Connection refused]

Right. Known issue at this time. There is no static image feed for the camera. Only ways to get one that I know of at the moment are to generate thumbnails and put them in your www folder and link to those, or to put NVR software in front of the cameras which will generate a still for you. I donā€™t think either are ideal so Iā€™ve just used a normal entity card and accept that I tap on them to get a feed.

roger! thanks

I was able to get it done in conjunction with Motioneye and its snapshot URL

1 Like

Great. Glad to hear it.

I have just set up my WYZE cam through MotionEye, however it keeps losing its connection, is anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

i had noticed it a couple times when i was trying to view in the wyze app. but it would come back

Yes; Have to either reboot or turn rtsp off/onā€¦ it is beta

1 Like