XBee serial communication

Hi Denis,

I have updated the firmware and confirgured it as specified here: Zigbee Home Automation | Digi International (and repeated in the thread). The problem is it won’t pair. I think you have to put it into ‘commissioning mode’ by shorting pin 20 to ground and that causes the yellow LED to come on for a few seconds but either way, searching for it in ZHA doesn’t work. I’ve tried a 2nd Xbee just in case there’s a hardware problem but no difference.
I have around 10 other zigbee devices, including some CC2251 USB dongles and they all work as expected.

To be honest, I’m totally mystified by all this. I’ve been told so many different things by different people I’m coming to the conclusion that everyone is just speculating and no-one has actually tried it.

Rob

Your conclusion is wrong, in this thread you can see several people that actually have it.
Please make sure that ID is set to 0, that SC map includes your channel, that CE is 0.
Then check the value of AI, it might indicate the problem.

Updated XCTU. Tried a 3rd Xbee with a 2nd USB adapter and lead. The only difference was that on one occasion I’d forgotten to set CE (Coordinator Enable) to 0. When I did set it to 0, the orange LED went out so only the blue LED was on. When I did a search in HA and grounded pin 20, HA did discover the device but then stalled in the ‘interview’ process.

I’ve tried 3 or 4 times to repeat the steps, starting from re-flashing the XBee and resetting to factory defaults but I haven’t be able to get HA to find it again. Now it powers on with the blue LED on and the orange LED flashing. Shorting pin 20 to ground causes the yellow LED to flash slowly but HA doesn’t find anything.

I’ve been monitoring AI throughout (with manual refresh) but it only shows ‘0’. Polling AI when the yellow LED is flashing causes XCTU to hang and I have to physically disconnect the device to allow it to continue.

Do you know what the LEDs indicate? Maybe that would be a start in debugging the problem.

Not sure about the LEDs, but AI=0 means it is connected or that CE is incorrect.

Do you have HA logs for the stalled interview process?

I have logs covering that period but no idea what to look for. Is there a description anywhere of the expected logs during pairing?

Anything related to zha and zhaquirks. Also, please try to bring the device closer to the coordinator. The important part is to get AI=0. I don’t think grounding the pin is necessary, from my experience XBee by default constantly tries to join the network.

Which coordinator device are you using? for example if you are using another Xbee as coordinator you can use API:1 and AO:3, but if you use Conbee II or other similar I have found it only works in transparent mode (AP:0 AO:0).

Sonoff USB Dongle Plus.

I haven’t tried it in a while. HA seemed to be having a lot of other issues at the time but some of the more recent updates have improved connectivity so might give it another go.