Xiaomi Aqara and Mijia etc

Hello,
I’m very interested in the Xiaomi range of smart home devices but I’m very confused by the various range names they use. Does anyone know the difference between the Xiaomi Aqara and Mijia for example?

Also, I understand that Xiaomi use ZigBee technology. Does this mean that their devices are interoperable with the likes of Philips Hue and IKEA Tradfri? Can you get a way with using the sensors and devices with other gateways?

Thanks in advance
T

1 Like

Very good explanation here.

I don’t think so, at least not with Xiaomi. I’ve heard reports of IKEA Tradfri working with Philips Hue gateway, but then stopped working after firmware upgrade.

I wouldn’t take that as a given.

Although long, this topic has valuable info on Xiaomi sensors and HA.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. That video is just what I wanted :slight_smile:
As regards the compatibility, I like those Xiaomi sensors etc but I would want them to only work internally and not going out to any outside “cloud”. This is why I love the IKEA Tradfri as the gateway only works internally. It does seem to communicate with the outside world but for firmware updates only which I can block without affecting the functionality of the gateway.

Ultimately, I want to have a heterogeneous environment with devices from various vendors rather than being locked to a specific ecosystem (It’s why I hate iDevices) and I want to use my own automation bridge/control centre to manage these devices and run rules etc. I don’t want the external “intelligence” which is why I am not a fan of the Google Nest.

There are ways to block communication with the outside world :slight_smile:

Firewall, blocking on the router, static IP configuration, …

I received my Ikea tradfri gateway and expect an aqara wallswitch (radio) this week, I’ll try it out and let you know.

Hi everyone, do you know if xiaomi sensors work with the ikea gateway?

Yep, they don’t :wink:

Hi guys. Will my 1gen Mi gateway (fw 1.3.0_125.0140) work with HA? Thanks.

Sadly no. I have a 1st gen g/w too (as well as a second gen).
Its only good for use with the mi home app.

@hijinx thanks man, will buy new one.

how do you know a 1st gen from a 2nd gen gateway? i’m struggling to integrate my gateway into HA, maybe that’s the problem. it recognizes the gateway, but says the key is incorrect.

On the 1st gen devices you cannot enable the gateway API from the mi home app like this https://github.com/fooxy/homeassistant-aqara/wiki/Enable-dev-mode

if you can enable the API then you have a v2 and the problem is something else.

ok, thanks, so this might not be the issue.

Hey,

I’ve got a small question as well.
Can I use the Xiaomi Mijia Honeywell with the Aqara gateway component?

Thanks in advance.

You can use smoke and gas detectors

1 Like

I am very pleased I have finally found a forum were I can discuss Xiaomi smarthome products. I have two question please

Have anyone tried multiple Zigbee products of Xiaomi? Like temperature sensor, water flood sensors and door sensors? Do they work in mesh or they all have to be near the gateway? Can place them one after another to extend the range of coverage of Zigbee?
I have tried to place my products as such but it seems the mesh concept is not working.

Have you guys given extensive testing for the 10A smart plug? Is it a heavy duty plug? Does it have any protection relay in case of electrical surge?

I have heard that the plug in sockets act as a repeater - I have not tried it as it does not support UK plugs.
None of the sensors do this.

Hi,
For aqara sensors do I need a gateway? Does they not communicate through wifi directly with raspeberry pi?

No, you need the gateway,
They connect to gateway via Zigbee.

Thank you for the reply.
Does anyone knows if Aqara sensors are compatible with VeraPlus hub?

Thx.