Xiaomi Aqara Gateway/Hub (ZHWG11LM) - possible to use as doorbell?

Hi all, I am the unlucky owner of what I’m starting to fear is the wrong model of Xaiomi gateway - the ZHWG11LM. I’m not interested in using the gateway for its gateway features, I’m simply interested in using it as a doorbell chime.

I currently have an Aqara button as doorbell, which works with Zigbee2MQTT to send alerts to our iPhones and triggers a chime on an Echo Dot, but the delay in sending the chime to Alexa is too great (often upwards of 4-5sec). Can Zigbee2MQTT be used with the gateway at all?

I’ve been through various procedures to register the gateway through the Xaiomi Home app, the Aqara Home app and the Apple Homekit app (Home), all to no real avail - all I can get is the gateway to appear in HA, but can only turn the light on/off and set the alarm - no other services etc.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Gareth

In theory, the most straightforward way would be by pairing the button with the gateway and setting up an automation from within the MiHome app. But it should also be possible to do it in HA.

I’m assuming your button raises an event somewhere in HA that can be used to trigger the automation.

If your gateway has been set up correctly, you should have the xiaomi_aqara.play_ringtone service available under developer tools -> services.

If it’s there, then you can play the chime with the following script:

<'numeric_id'>:
  alias: DoorbellSound
  sequence:
  - data:
      gw_mac: <mac address>
      ringtone_id: 10
      ringtone_vol: 80
    service: xiaomi_aqara.play_ringtone

I hope it helps

1 Like