Xiaomi gateway alternative as livingroom speaker and visual light

Hi,

Since I still can’t integrate xiaomi gateway in my HA system yet (see here), I would like to have a device that can act as that gateway, in term of programmable speaker/voice and LED light/visual cue. My plan is to place the device in the living room, and when one of HA automation going to start, it will give audio notification and LED blinks to inform people in the room/house that something’s gonna happen in the room.

Is there any device out there that can perform the task? Sorry for my English…

On top of my head I would say a combination of a light (like hue, IKEA Trådfri, MQTT lights) and a chromecast audio connected to powered speakers.
That’s how I’ve set up my stuff (I don’t yet use the aqara gateway for this)

Thanks for the idea… However it seems to involve too many things… I just need a little device with LED light and speaker… Xiaomi Gateway is perfect for this use, too bad I still can’t use it yet…

I’ve been looking on bluetooth speaker. Can we send specific audio file/voice to the bluetooth speaker from HA?

well once setup it’s no different, you’ll still need to drive an LED (= 1 action) and you’ll need to play some media/TTS (= 1 action)
Actually in the case of the Xiaomi Aqara you would only be able to play pre-recorded announcements that have been manually recorded (via the hub’s mic), which is one of the reasons I’m not using it for announcements…

1 Like

Yep, you’re right… Xiaomi gateway can only play pre-recorded voice…

Maybe Google Home Mini is the way to go? Although the LED lights are tiny, I believe they’re RGB, right? And we can send TTS from HA, am I correct? Can we also send specific LED color to the Mini?

Yes google minis are perfect for announcements. You can’t drive the LEDs though, and even if you could they’re way too dim to be used as alerts, you’d need to look at them to know they’ve been turned on.
My silent alerts are done via an LED strip driven by a WeMos D1 mini pro communicating via MQTT.